SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Facts about the most feared weapon on Earth, the BOOMERs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facts about the most feared weapon on Earth, the BOOMERs Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
So what your saying is the Chicago plan is off the table.

Not at all. Chicago can still be easily nuked by Subs in the ocean.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Is Chive a problem? I've never heard of it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Is Chive a problem? I've never heard of it.

It's a fun social media website...not usually accurate in their list type posts, more infotainment.

It's definitly NOT a problem for quality T&A pics. Big Grin

JALLEN, go check out some boobies and bootays.

2017 Chive booty hall of fame http://thechive.com/2017/04/20...l-of-fame-50-photos/

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
How are you going to get a Boomer through the various locks required to enter the great lakes, without it being seen?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
From the article:

"Other then food, she can produce her own oxygen and water supply for its crew."

Good Lord, how do these imbeciles get through high school English courses?

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
How are you going to get a Boomer through the various locks required to enter the great lakes, without it being seen?

The locks aren't a factor. The canals leading to them are dredged to a minimum depth of 27' and the sub draws 38' and is over 70' tall from the keel up. The St. Clair river also has a minimum depth of 27'. Maybe if you had a flock of African Sparrows you could fly an Ohio class sub into the Great Lakes.

The whole "article" is terrible. Many the captions don't match the pictures and the information is outdated and some times completely false. It seems to be click bait.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

IF we were to station subs in the Great Lakes, we really wouldn't care whether the Ruskies would know about it. . .

Once there, they would be practically invulnerable. I've always wondered why we didn't station them there. We wouldn't even need all the complex quieting technology that 'open ocean' subs require.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

IF we were to station subs in the Great Lakes, we really wouldn't care whether the Ruskies would know about it. . .

Once there, they would be practically invulnerable. I've always wondered why we didn't station them there. We wouldn't even need all the complex quieting technology that 'open ocean' subs require.

One reason is they can't get in and out. They're too big. Another might be there are probably much cheaper easier to maintain land based ways to launch ICBMs from the middle of the country. Lastly, the range of the Trident and Trident II are reportedly 4,600 miles and 7,500 miles. Sure limits the targets that could be reached.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Was listening to an article this morning where they were saying Russia, as led by Putin, developed a torpedo with a 6,000 mile range and able to carry enough explosives to take a carrier out of the fight. The scenario used was a Russian sub's ability to stand-off 5,000 miles from San Diego and release the weapon as a carrier gets underway.

Oh and Wonder Putz was credited with emboldening Putin to develop the torp.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Aside from the ocean our subs can also enter fresh water such as our Great Lakes (which already has US Navy’s USS Kentucky SSBN-737 and other smaller Los Angeles-class Attack Submarines).

I don't recall ever hearing that before. Pretty cool.

During WWII, We built submarines in Manitowc, Wisconsin. Sailed them out the St. Lawrence to the Ocean.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
7,500 miles easily puts Moscow in range of a Trident D5 (II) from Omaha (taking a random middle American city with AF importance as an example.) You could probably hit anywhere in Russia from there.

But you could probably put some D5s on trucks (which they'd be able to launch from), and drive them around to secure locations for LOTS cheaper than building a sub to wrap around them.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
quote:

One reason is they can't get in and out. They're too big. Another might be there are probably much cheaper easier to maintain land based ways to launch ICBMs from the middle of the country. Lastly, the range of the Trident and Trident II are reportedly 4,600 miles and 7,500 miles. Sure limits the targets that could be reached.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
7,500 miles easily puts Moscow in range of a Trident D5 (II) from Omaha (taking a random middle American city with AF importance as an example.) You could probably hit anywhere in Russia from there.

But you could probably put some D5s on trucks (which they'd be able to launch from), and drive them around to secure locations for LOTS cheaper than building a sub to wrap around them.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Are there any underwater silos? Seems cheaper than nuclear sub.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine what it would cost to maintain that fleet? Holy sh*t.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there really are subs in the great lakes (there aren't), where do they re-supply their food?

And the lakes aren't that deep (relatively speaking). They could hold a sub, but not hide them very well.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7500 miles and we'll put it in your living room.

They used to be the only nuclear platform that could launch from local command.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
These 18 weapons are also known as “Trident” subs because they’re a part of America’s “Nuclear Triad”.

Gee, I thought it was because they carried the Trident missile. Who knew that was just a coincidence.

I think the article is wrong.

I was assigned to a Titan II Wing in '77 and the term "nuclear triad" was in place at least as early as that time.

From what I've read, the Trident missile was first deployed in '79.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The locks aren't a factor. The canals leading to them are dredged to a minimum depth of 27' and the sub draws 38' and is over 70' tall from the keel up. The St. Clair river also has a minimum depth of 27'. Maybe if you had a flock of African Sparrows you could fly an Ohio class sub into the Great Lakes.

I was hoping you weren't insinuating that nuclear submarines were migratory.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
So what your saying is the Chicago plan is off the table.

No... just deliver them with delivery trucks, probably rental trucks. Wink

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
There are no subs in the Great Lakes.
They call them "grinders."

Posts: 6474 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post