SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time
Page 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
What if no one purchases an exit row seat? Is it necessary to have someone there to open the escape hatch if needed?

No, not necessary.

But it's usually taken by at least a couple of people. I most times prefer the exit row to even a "Comfort Plus" seat. (Doesn't cost me anything to book those seats or an exit row)
A simpler and more direct answer would be they'll bump someone up from regular economy based on frequent flyer tier status (e.g. platinum then gold then silver).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:...

This was American Airlines, and I couldn't care less about this story. I seriously couldn't care any less. And no one is getting millions over this ridiculous incident. You have a tough guy passenger butting in and getting into it with an idiot, tough guy AA employee. The AA employee should be fired or relegated to dumping the plane crapper for now on for his stupid behavior, and the tough guy passenger just needs to learn when to mind his own business.

I have no idea what happened to the woman with the babies, and neither does anyone else except her and the flight attendant directly involved. I do have empathy for her though because she seemed genuinely distraught over something, but whatever it is we just don't know. And if you trust the media or a crappy vertical cell phone video taken after the fact, you're fooling yourself.

What I do know is this, the majority of people who fly nowadays are a disgusting, rabid lot. A bunch of selfish, ignorant dresser downs who frankly sometimes make me wish for a psychotic Lufthansa pilot at the helm when most times I fly, which is every few weeks. If it weren't for Bourbon on the plane, I probably would've snapped long ago.

So in short, you are saying most people on planes are jerks, it is OK for an airline employee to harass a mother with twin babies to the point of tears, it is not OK for an eye witness to intervene, and the only way you can bear being on a plane is if you have plenty of alcohol.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

So in short, you are saying most people on planes are jerks, it is OK for an airline employee to harass a mother with twin babies to the point of tears, it is not OK for an eye witness to intervene, and the only way you can bear being on a plane is if you have plenty of alcohol.

I didn't say any of that.

Except perhaps the alcohol part, but that was in jest.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I wonder what we'll learn when the full story comes out.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing missing in this discussion is how whether airline personnel receive any training in how to defuse situations. This not anything new, I would bet a good number of the cops who worked the street know these techniques otherwise known as Verbal Judo. JMHO

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
With regard to the American Airlines incident-what has been reported is that the upset passenger, a mom with two small children, was trying to find a place to store a stroller(and reportedly been given permission to do so) rather than have it checked as baggage. Again critical thinking seems to be in short supply, or probably suppressed by groupthink corporate training. A mother traveling with two small children needs a stroller with her rather than trying to retrieve said stroller while handling two babies through the airport terminal.

And hopefully not stirring the pot with a discussion about pilot authority...the AA video apparently shows a pilot standing very passively by while the drama ensues. This situation appears to be where the captain of the plane-the ultimate authority- might want to step in and minimize another cluster situation on video.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
With regard to the American Airlines incident-what has been reported is that the upset passenger, a mom with two small children, was trying to find a place to store a stroller(and reportedly been given permission to do so) rather than have it checked as baggage. Again critical thinking seems to be in short supply, or probably suppressed by groupthink corporate training. A mother traveling with two small children needs a stroller with her rather than trying to retrieve said stroller while handling two babies through the airport terminal.

Mothers have always been able to bring their strollers down the jetway and then "pink tag" it before boarding. I've never seen anyone bring a stroller onboard though. It wouldn't even fit. And wasn't she traveling with her husband?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Let's apply some critical thinking here.

There is insufficient space on most aircraft to roll a stroller down the aisle. So it would have to be folded up, clearly not an easy thing to deal with while holding a baby. This is why they ask that strollers be checked at the end of the jet way.

A stroller folded is not small. Overhead bins are not big. If it did fit in a bin it would take the entire bin space. Thus depriving that space from being available to 2-3 other passengers for their luggage. Clearly she is more important than they are. Now before you get your panties in a knot, one thing a seasoned traveler will do is look at those ahead of them and see how many roller boards/bags are going on the plane to see if they should door check theirs or bring it on. I would be pissed if I did a bag count only to find a stroller in the open bin near my seat forcing me to A) put my bag further back and thus wait for everyone else to deplane before I get my bag, OR B) have to stand and wait for everyone to board, before I drag my back back to the door and have it pink tagged.

One thing I did note in the video that I saw, the woman was screaming and crying about getting her stroller back. Not being hit, other passengers were taking about that. I also noticed that she had calmed down until the guy in First Class started yelling and then she lost it a second time. So what is the story here? Woman doesn't get her way and loses it? Overly sensitive woman cries at every little thing (I have a cousin like this Roll Eyes ) ? She was actually hurt?

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:

Mothers have always been able to bring their strollers down the jetway and then "pink tag" it before boarding. I've never seen anyone bring a stroller onboard though. It wouldn't even fit. And wasn't she traveling with her husband?

How big was the stroller? Did you see they also brought a car seat?

American and other carriers allow strollers and car seats. Most let peopl check them as baggage or at the gate. When checked at the gate the stroller is given to the passenger when they leave the aircraft. as with most airlines, AMerican allows one stroller or one car seat on board.

American addresses this.

"Not all strollers are accepted at the gate.
First, there is one stand-out difference from other airlines you should be aware of before heading to the airport. American Airlines will not accept strollers weighing 20 lbs. or more at the gates of its flights. While the main issue driving this policy are the many bulky and often expensive jogging and all-terrain strollers parents hope to hand-off at the gate rather than dismantle and check through the airport baggage system, be aware that many standard, full-feature strollers also weigh in over this limit.

If you need a stroller to help get your brood through the airport and/or want to use it during a layover, make sure you bring a travel-friendly, collapsible stroller to ensure you can check it at the gate (see recommended travel strollers here).

If you ultimately prefer to check your 20 lbs.+ stroller from home, be sure to bring a protective stroller bag that fits your model (travel bag recommendations here) and allow time for dismantling & packing it before checking in at the counter. And speaking of checked items, be sure to read on for American Airlines’ baggage policies as applied to families.

Tip: If you want a rugged stroller at your destination, but don’t need it en route, you may very likely be able to rent that BOB stroller, Mountain Buggy, or Phil & Ted tandem at your destination. Check the Worldwide Directory of Baby Gear Rentals to find out.

American Airlines’ baggage policy as applied to families:
American Airlines will allow one free checked (or gate-checked) stroller, one free checked (or gate checked) car seat, and one complimentary carry-on diaper bag for each child under 2 years traveling without his own seat. Infants and children flying in their own paid seats are entitled to the same baggage allowance as their parents."
http://www.travelswithbaby.com...with-a-baby-toddler/
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/22/...-confrontation-trnd/
https://customersupport.spirit...or-stroller-onboard-
https://www.united.com/web/en-.../baggage/infant.aspx
https://www.alaskaair.com/cont...ts-and-children.aspx

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I fly a lot as do others on the forum. The stroller goes to the end of the jetway and gets tagged and checked. When mom gets off the plane the stroller is waiting for her as she walks off the plane...or a few minutes later. Mom never gets to take to stoller onto the plane. End of story.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I don't know exactly what happened, how this whole thing unfolded. Maybe the woman was being an asshole. Maybe she was not. But for sure that attendant was an asshole.

Many years ago I worked as a busboy, a waiter, and a bartender. I know that customers can be assholes. But you can't hit them on the head and challenge them to fights. Unless you want to get fired.

The woman was whatever she was. But that guy is a professional, and expected to act like one-- and that means keeping his cool, and fixing problems on board as they arise. Doing the finger jab " YOU!" thing, and then standing toe-to-toe with the pissed off passenger and saying "Hit me! Go ahead, hit me!"

You're fired.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
moo

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Interesting reverse perspective. You're a flight attendant dealing with a touchy issue that you may have​ caused. A passenger who is taller than you, out weighs a you not only gets aggressive, but stands up to challenge you and stats advancing when you're backing into a corner. Clearly he didn't handle it well but who hasn't seen the "go ahead and start it" before?

343 - Never Forget

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
moo?

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
moo?

Cattle cars

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can see that is the underlying attitude. We will treat you the way we damn well feel like treating you. Which is like cattle.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
swoosh, zoom, moo

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
^^^ Uh... okay... that one I don't get. Balze?

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I fly a lot as do others on the forum. The stroller goes to the end of the jetway and gets tagged and checked. When mom gets off the plane the stroller is waiting for her as she walks off the plane...or a few minutes later. Mom never gets to take to stoller onto the plane. End of story.

ABC news reports it was a double stroller. As example:
Dimensions: 32.500 inches H x 46.000 inches W x 42.000 inches D
Collapsed Dimensions: 31.000 inches H x 32.000 inches D
Weight: 31.500 pounds

Now where would that fit on an airplane?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
^^^ Uh... okay... that one I don't get. Balze?

Capsules? Pods? Best I got.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)