SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bowe Bergdahl expected to plead guilty
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowe Bergdahl expected to plead guilty Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
He's probably got MSNBC and CNN in a bidding war for his services as a commentator as we speak.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
So the judge deserted as well?

Dereliction of duty at a bare minimum.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I almost believe that the judge made this ruling to spite President Trump.

Unless evidence to the contrary surfaces, I consider it a *purely* political decision.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
agreed

the 'judge' was derelict and should be charged

a travesty for the families of the victims

where is Mattis and Kelly on this?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
The reason these types of rulings happen way too frequently, regardless of the case, is that judges have way too little accountability when it comes to doing their duty and excising their judgement. An opinion/ruling derelict of the facts and the law should count against judges like mistakes, oversights, and "doing whatever the hell you feel like" does in other occupations. They should have an annual independent review of judge rulings and allow them only a certain number of cases of "leeway" rulings per year or something along those lines. This is exactly why mandatory minimum sentences for certain crimes / number of offenses have become more prominent. Many judges can't seem to balance compassion with accountability.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am convinced that the justice system is inappropriately named

its geared towards the criminal so it should be called the Retribution System. Criminals need retribution, victims need justice.

when you start wrong, you can't help but end wrong

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
SWMBO told me she read that the sentence had to be reviewed at two further superior levels. Maybe there is hope for justice yet.

If not, someone will take care of this eventually.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
one can only hope that we can get justice...its a shame we have to rely on hope for what is right

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"It's not the Wild West anymore, you can't just clean up the streets with a gun, even though sometimes, that's exactly what's needed" --- A.G. Russert

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
SWMBO told me she read that the sentence had to be reviewed at two further superior levels. Maybe there is hope for justice yet.

If not, someone will take care of this eventually.

RMD

The review can only lessen the sentence. After it's reviewed it will automatically be appealed (where it could be reduced). No chance of the punishment increasing from this point on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/1...rgdahl-sentence.html

quote:
The sentence will be reviewed by Gen. Robert B. Abrams, who convened the court-martial, and has the power to lessen the punishment. If the final sentence still includes a punitive discharge, it will then automatically be reviewed by the United States Army Court of Criminal Appeals.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
can he throw it out and start again?

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to bet he ends up with a general discharge and full benefits.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
can he throw it out and start again?

No, from this point the convening authority can reduce the sentence or dismiss the charges - the sentence cannot be increased from this point forward. Bergdahl is appealing, hoping to have the charges dismissed or the sentence reduced.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-enc...tial-conviction.html

- John Adams

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

Will he get a free lunch at some restaurants on Veterans Day?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
"It's not the Wild West anymore, you can't just clean up the streets with a gun, even though sometimes, that's exactly what's needed" --- A.G. Russert

It's coming anyway.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

Will he get a free lunch at some restaurants on Veterans Day?
Oh he might get something on Veteran's Day if I made the mistake to dine with real veterans, but I don't think I'd call it lunch.

What an absolute travesty of justice. Apparently military judges are every bit as corrupt and contemptable as civilian judges are.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Shocked and disgusted! I was predicting 25 years and a DD. I cannot even imagine how those guys in his unit feel about this.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I would be perfectly happy with this sentence if they would tattoo his name and "traitor" on his forehead.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
A prison sentence might have saved him from an unfortunate accident someday, but then it would probably have to have been solitary confinement to keep him safe in prison.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next we'll hear from the ACLU how Hasan Akbar and Nidal Hasan should have their sentences commuted because they didn't have the benefit of white privilege like Bergdahl.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post