SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Scientists say you'll probably never have heart-stopping sex"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Scientists say you'll probably never have heart-stopping sex" Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I used to tell patients after a heart attack it was OK to have sex, but only with their wife, otherwise it would be too exciting. I would tell them that with their wife present, if possible.

From the Washington Post:

Link

quote:
Heart patients have worried that they may die suddenly from having sex, but a new study suggests they probably won’t.

Researchers found that less than 1 percent of people who experienced sudden cardiac arrest were having, or just had, sex. Now Sumeet Chugh, one of the study’s authors, has some “happy news” to tell his nervous patients.

“As a cardiologist, from time to time, in an awkward way, patients would ask me, ‘You know doc, what’s my risk of dying suddenly with sexual activity?’ We could say to them it’s probably low, but we never had data,” Chugh said. “Now we have data to answer that question.”

Researchers described sudden cardiac arrest as a “mostly lethal condition” that manifests as “an unexpected collapse and loss of the pulse.”

More than 300,000 people die of sudden cardiac arrest every year in the United States, yet about 1 in 100 men and 1 in 1,000 women experience sudden cardiac arrest relating to sexual activity, according to the study, which was presented at the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions and published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

The community-based Oregon Sudden Unexpected Death Study examined data on more than 4,500 sudden cardiac arrests in the Portland, Ore., metropolitan area from 2002 to 2015. Of those, 34 were related to sex, and most were men with a history of heart diseases.

Researchers collected medical records, autopsy data and details of what the person was doing when sudden cardiac arrest occurred. Any cases that occurred during sex or within one hour of having sex were considered related to sexual activity.

Sudden cardiac arrest occurred during sexual activity in 18 cases and within minutes of it in 15 cases. In one case, the timing could not be determined.

“We were pleasantly surprised to see how low it was,” said Chugh, the associate director of the Heart Institute for Genomic Cardiology at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles.

This study is an opportunity to reassure patients that they can return to a good quality of life, including sexual activity, said Nieca Goldberg, who is the medical director for the Joan H. Tisch Center for Women’s Health at New York University. She is also an AHA spokeswoman and was not involved with the study.

The article also noted:
1. For most people sex is the equivalent of walking up two flight of stairs.
2. More men should have survived a cardiac arrest during sex, but the women apparently didn't do CPR.
I will let these observations stand without comment....

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Well crap.

There goes the last item on my bucket list...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Doing any blow especially does not help. Wink

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
should her husband find us I can almost garuntee he'll stop my heart!!!

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
should her husband find us I can almost garuntee he'll stop my heart!!!

That was another joke I used in my talk to patients. Better never to have a heart attack with progressive decline in health, but to be shot at age 85 by a jealous husband. Now 85 seems kinda low.... Big Grin

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
"Scientists say you'll probably never have heart-stopping sex"

Ask Nelson Rockefeller.........wait, never mind. He's dead.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

The article also noted:

Guess I've been putting way too much work into it. Hell, even when I'm having sex with myself it seems like more than that.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
For those not familiar with Nelson's passing:

quote:
Nelson Rockefeller, former Vice President of the United States, a four-term governor of New York and heir to the Rockefeller family fortune, died at age 70 of a heart attack that was rumored to have occurred during extramarital sex. New York Magazine reported: “Nelson thought he was coming, but he was going”.

He was in his townhouse, not his office, with a woman who was not his wife, when he presumably suffered a heart attack. Instead of dialing 911 immediately, the woman called her friend and then her friend called 911. When reporters tried to contact her, she was unavailable. Rockefeller’s family chose not to have an autopsy done to prove the cause of his death. Instead, he was cremated 18 hours after he was pronounced dead.

Men Who Have Frequent Sex Live Longer
The very famous Caerphilly Heart Disease Study followed 918 men, ages 45-49, for 10 years and showed that men who have frequent orgasms have half the chance of dying, compared to those who have infrequent ones, and the more frequent the orgasms, the less likely they were to die (British Medical Journal, December 20, 1997;315:1641). An increase of 100 orgasms per year was associated with a halving of the death rate.

Death During Sex is Rare
Of 21,000 autopsies done over 21 years (1972-1992), 39 (0.19 percent) of the deaths occurred during or after sexual activity (Zeitschrift Kardiol, 1999 Jan;88(1):44-8). The average age of the men was 61.3 years, and 33 percent had had a previous heart attack.

Extramarital Sex Is Not So Safe
A review of the world’s literature shows that men who are having sex with their wives are at an incredibly low risk for suffering a heart attack during sex. However when they make love with women who are not their wives, they are at higher risk for suffering heart attacks (The Journal of Sexual Medicine, June, 2012;9(6):1508–1518).

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I'll just leave this sex related story here. Hope that's OK.

A Professor of Psychology was giving a lecture on Mental Satisfaction, during which, he claimed that a good bowel evacuation could be as mentally satisfying as good sex.

My thoughts...
Either he has never had really good sex...
Or, I have never had a really good shit!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
The very famous Caerphilly Heart Disease Study followed 918 men, ages 45-49, for 10 years and showed that men who have frequent orgasms have half the chance of dying, compared to those who have infrequent ones, and the more frequent the orgasms, the less likely they were to die (British Medical Journal, December 20, 1997;315:1641). An increase of 100 orgasms per year was associated with a halving of the death rate.

Questions that come to mind.
1. Perhaps unhealthy men have less interest in sex. Cart/horse thing.
2. Does self-servicing count?
3. Does my insurance cover professional services?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

Questions that come to mind.
1. Perhaps unhealthy men have less interest in sex. Cart/horse thing.
2. Does self-servicing count?
3. Does my insurance cover professional services?
Soooooooooo, if the wife cuts you off, does that constitute attempted murder?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sudden cardiac arrest occurred during sexual activity in 18 cases and within minutes of it in 15 cases. In one case, the timing could not be determined .

Yeah, been there. Hello there, are we still doing it or is it just me?

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
shot at age 85 by a jealous husband.
I always said that if I could choose the way I would die, I wanted to be shot by Carlo Ponti.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
1 in 100 men and 1 in 1,000 women experience sudden cardiac arrest relating to sexual activity
"Proof" that men do most of the work in bed.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Professor of Psychology was giving a lecture on Mental Satisfaction, during which, he claimed that a good bowel evacuation could be as mentally satisfying as good sex.

May depend on which one you've done without for the longest.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
when I had heart surgery .. on the form it said I could have sex when I could climb 3 flights of stairs.. I was on the 2nd floor So I ask the nurse what was on the 5th Floor. And where do I ask for Sex.. She said it was OB/GYN... I had to laugh.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mental Satisfaction
I've had some pretty decent sex, and some pretty spectacular evacuations. I know which one is more satisfying (and the mental part has very little to do with it).

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to go too long without either, that can really mess with the mentality!

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is rather depressing.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
1 in 100 men and 1 in 1,000 women experience sudden cardiac arrest relating to sexual activity
"Proof" that men do most of the work in bed.

Or that y'all make everything way more difficult than necessary. Razz

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
... 1 in 1,000 women experience sudden cardiac arrest relating to sexual activity...

Faked her own death.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post