SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My Birth Certificate was not good enough to get New Drivers License
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Birth Certificate was not good enough to get New Drivers License Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
GA wasn’t too bad. The worst part was that it took a couple weeks to get and in the meantime they take your old license and give you a temp paper license. So if you don’t have a passport there’s no way you’ll get on a plane.

They took my State Dept report of birth abroad with no question. Which is good, since my birth certificate is in Italian. Big Grin

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to the DMV to get my Real ID Drivers License . Had various forms of ID including my SS card . The guy handed it back and said it was not acceptable . It was the original card I got back in the 60's . At the bottom it says " NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION . Apparently the newer ones don't say that anymore . I understand that the card does not prove my identity but the website listed a " social security card " as an acceptable document .

Posts: 4057 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
The pre COVID lines at the Raleigh offices have been extremely long and I never had a full day to devote to standing in line to get the updated driver's license. I'd let my passport expire so I got a new passport and paid the fee to get a passport card (small wallet size version) as well. Both the regular passport and the passport card meet the requirement for the "REAL ID."

I understand that if you have a valid passport you can apply for a passport card on a stand alone basis. I have not verified this info and have not looked into the process.

If your driver's license is not expiring, obtaining (or using) a passport card might be an easier option. I think the passport card costs $30.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
May need certified copy of Birth Certificate.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
May need certified copy of Birth Certificate.

I just looked it up... If you have a valid passport a) issued within 15 years and b) issued when you were 16 or older it a mail in application. MAIL in your passport, proof of name change (if applicable) a recent passport photo, a form, and $30.

I've not heard of people be hassled about their birth certificates when applying for a passport. Maybe that happens. My experience guess is the state employees have been super critical of such documents.

Getting a passport was super easy - we scheduled an appointment and had them take the passport photo.

Here are the the instructions for birth certificate to apply for a passport:

> Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
> Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
> Lists your parent(s)' full names
> Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
> Has the registrar's signature
> Has the seal of the issuing authority

I don't have a lot of experience with birth certificates but it seems that the ones historically issued by states were accepted by the passport office.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I went through this 8 years ago when I renewed my FL DL. The list of required documents was a mile long.

I showed up with everything; old DL, passport, birth certificate, CWL (photo id), SS card, utility bills, etc.

When it was my turn, I put everything on the table. The lady said, "Which of these do you want to use?" I replied, very nicely, without sarcasm, "I am not sure. The requirements have become so stringent, I just brought everything. Please grab what you need to make this work."

She was pissed, but did take what was needed and I walked out with a new DL.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a similar hassle when I tried to renew my CDL in Ohio. I brought my SS Card, and what I thought was a certified copy of my birth certificate. apparently I had a COPY of a certified certificate, it didn't have a raised stamp. So I had to go somewhere else to get a duplicate made. I filled out a form, and showed them the copy of my birth certificate. I had a new certificate in like five minutes. If the info I provided to them was good enough to get a new one made, whu wasn't it good enough to get the CDL??? Made no sense!!!!!!

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MO seems to be doing OK at the real ID thing, at least for me. Passport, W2, and the card they mailed me may for renewal may have been all I needed to get the new license. W2 satisfied a couple requirements (residency and ssn). I took the dd-214 in for the veteran stamp as well. Getting an appointment during the covid lockdown was an entirely different matter. It took weeks.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago my sister was bailing on California and coming to Texas. Before she moved she came out to find a place but also wanted to get a TX DL. She does all of her research and has all of her paperwork in order. All she needs is an address in TX and she uses mine because that actually will be her address initially.

Before we go to the DMV I ask her what I need to bring. The DMV website says I need two forms of ID with my address. No problem.

We get there and all of my sister’s stuff is in order. They ask me for my two things to prove where I live. I give them my License to Carry and my DL. The drone says “I can accept the LTC but I cannot accept the drivers license.” Ummmm, that is YOUR ID that YOU sent to me! Nope, no dice. I pull out my FAA Pilot License and FAA Medical. No, these are not on the approved list. Finally I find an insurance card in my car which apparently is more trustworthy than the DL they issue.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Did mine today. Just got back. Had to go to the bank to get my Birth Certificate last week. Appointment only, scheduled that. All the local DL offices were November and December time frames but I found one in Timbuktu for today. A total shit show. Line outside, in the 100 degree heat. Some employee comes over and says “If you have a 2 o’clock appointment go wait in your car”. 30 minutes later he has a big sign in the parking lot saying to come in but it has the wrong appointment time on it, 2:30pm.

Get in there, and all I needed to get this illustrious new “REAL ID” drivers license, was my birth certificate. Email said I needed that, SS card, registration receipt on vehicle or title, and insurance. So I have all this and all he needed was the birth certificate. Recertification on my eyes, that was it, and $44. There were some Angry Karens there raising holy hell at the line. It was very heated. Thankfully I’m done and they said 2 weeks and I’ll have the new fancy DL.

Mine doesn’t expire until November but I’m flying in late October if that place opens back up. Mixed shit on this Real ID thing. My state, in the renewal letter I got in the snail mail says October 2020 Real ID is required for flights. I look online and it says October 2021. I just wanted it over with.

Submitted my renewal for CHL also. That was all online, quick, and unless my existing finger prints have been lost, shouldn’t be any issues.

Went back to the bank after to put my docs back into the safety deposit box. Long long wait. Service everywhere is absolute shit. At least the DL office, once you could finally get inside, out of this 100 degree heat, went pretty quick and relatively seamless.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post