SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Buyer Beware Buds Gun Shop
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buyer Beware Buds Gun Shop Login/Join 
posted
I have never had any issues buying guns from them on the couple guns I've bought from them. So they send me a steady stream of emails. One of them was a reasonable price on Aguila Rifle Match 22LR. So I ordered a 5000 round case and added the 3 bucks for insurance from loss/damage.

The package arrived today. Sunny day not a cloud in the sky. For a couple days actually. We bring the box inside and it is literally wet through and through. No packaging either. Just the Aguila box taped a bunch. It is so soaked that the edges are already coming apart. Bring out some of the bricks and they are also wet to touch. Took a bunch of pictures, my favorite is the one where I open one wet brick and there are still droplets of water sitting on the white printed cardboard.

So first issue, no phone number. Well in truth there is a phone number. Which sends you to a pre recorded message basically saying this isn't really a phone number, it just directs you to email them.

So eventually I find instant chat. Misnamed perhaps but it works. Long story short, he asks for pictures which show everything in great detail. Says box it up and ship it back (they sent label) and once they receive it they will send more or refund.

Here's my issue. Maybe I'm wrong, I will let you decide SF. I paid for shipping insurance. I did. Not Bud's. They make it quite clear that ammo sales are FINAL. (I don't quite think shipping damaged goods would end up being final, yet I digress). I asked if they would resell this ammo, they said no. So my question is, why did I pay insurance (my $$$) to insure a package that was in fact damaged but they collect the payout and get the product back? Seems like I paid to insure that Bud's was protected not me. Not to mention I think they will potentially sell this item again. After they collected the insurance claim.

So, am I the dick here? Spoiler alert: wouldn't be the first time for that. lol

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, let me get this straight. You will get your full refund and at the same time want to keep this stuff?

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the terms of the extra insurance were, so it's hard to comment on that. Most shippers will include insurance up to a certain amount, let's say $100, and additional insurance on top of that costs extra. Maybe Bud's doesn't automatically pay for insurance over $100 to keep shipping costs down. Confused
If that were the case, then if you spent over $100, then you'd only be getting $100 back to you.

That'd be a pretty crappy retail model, and Bud's has a good reputation, so I doubt that's the case.

What will Bud's do w/ the wet ammo? They might absorb the cost as damaged goods and give it away to employees. They might sell it at deep discount w/ a warning.

Before commenting futher, I'd like to know, what would make you happy? It looks as if you'll either be getting a refund or replacement, so what else do you expect?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Insurance claims normally take time to process and issue payouts. To me it looks like Bud's is sending you a replacement order or a refund before they receive their payout from the carrier's insurer. They are taking the risk if the claim is denied, not you.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I expected and asked for either a discount or if they made the insurance claim then yes, keep the damaged goods. I also cringe at the idea that this ammo might be resold. In a nutshell it seems I bought insurance that protected Buds from loss but at my expense. How did this insurance benefit me? Without paying extra for insurance I would still be getting a return label and a refund. With an extra cost for insurance I am getting the same thing. They recoup their cost and probably resell it to some schmuck.

Over the years I have bought insurance here and there. In most cases, if not all, if the product was damaged (usually less than this one) they just replaced the item. And yes some of them were expensive.

Like I said, I might be wrong on this. I’m not looking forward to repackaging their ammo since their box was lucky to get to my door without spillage and since it’s ammo I have to go to a shipping location. Can’t just call them to pick up at door.

I’m annoyed. Shitty packaging caused this. If they had packed the ammo like ammoman or sg ammo, my usual go to’s, this wouldn’t have damaged the ammo most likely. Paying for useless insurance that just lines Buds pocket annoys me. Still, I’m listening. If I’m wrong to expect better I’m listening.

If one of you guys buys ammo and it doesn’t work though, I warned you lol.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. They told me insurance was in house. The website clearly states the insurance covers loss or damage during shipping.

So what exactly does buying insurance get me? Sounds like a scam.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The shipper is the one contracting with the delivery service and the one that gets paid if there's an insurance claim. You, as the buyer, are reimbursing the shipper for the shipping costs. The shipper has no contract with you.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. They're honoring your claim and going to make you whole... and you're... upset?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m upset because their “insurance” didn’t have anything to do with protecting me or making me whole. The ammo in the condition it arrived in would have been refunded without the insurance purchase. At a minimum, they state that UPS covers up to 100 dollars without buying more insurance from UPS, so I expect them to file a damage claim (100% truthful) and offer a discount in that amount. I avoid the hassle of fixing their screwup and for a discount I would take a chance that the immersion didn’t render it unuseable.

Their box is in pieces. Shipping it back isn’t as simple as putting a label on their package and away it goes.

Like I said, what did I actually buy when they sold insurance? It didn’t seem to protect me from anything. It lined Buds pockets without actually doing anything for the purchaser. I think claiming damage from UPS and offering that discount to me is appropriate. In fact, would anyone here (send me an email/text and I will send pics for someone to post) really not think when they get this ridiculously damaged package and not think that Buds will make that claim to UPS? It’s a legitimate claim and then they now have the ammo to resell cheaper or whatever. All on my insurance money. Why did I buy insurance? I should be able to claim the damage and the discount. That’s my point. I agree now that expecting to keep the box for free isn’t reasonable. But I was pissed. I do think I am due the covered insurance as a discount. Certayo don’t think Buds deserves it.

Interesting. Still not sure I’m the complete dick here. Maybe partial dick.

posted Hide Post
Send me your address, I’ll send you $3 Roll Eyes

They’re taking care of it, I highly doubt Bud’s took a garden hose to your ammo before they shipped it out. The insurance would be if it was lost in transit is my guess.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off, I'd believe them when you said they told you they would not resell the ammo. Seems like a pretty big liability if they did and something happened. So they're gonna have to eat that cost or get made whole from UPS.

Second, you said and their website says all ammo sales are final. I'm pretty sure they didn't knowingly send you damaged ammo, bad packaging notwithstanding, so I don't think you're correct that they would take it back if you hadn't bought the ins. My guess is they would tell you to file a claim with UPS, and you know they're gonna drag that out and try to limit you to the $100, meanwhile you're sitting on a stack of ammo that's prob not usable. So you paid for the convenience of not having to fight with UPS and just send it back to Bud's and get a refund or a fresh shipment.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I’m upset because their “insurance” didn’t have anything to do with protecting me or making me whole.

How do you know that? They told you they're "self insured." That means you paid them $3 to make you whole regardless of the cost or the reason the product did not arrive, and arrive in satisfactory condition. Otherwise you likely would've been left to UPS' resolution, which would have maxed-out at $100.

I think you're off in the weeds on this one.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The insurance bought you exactly what is happening.

No insurance, you keep the wet ammo, too bad, so sad.

You're getting what you paid for.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
They probably don’t want the risk of you keeping and using the damaged ammo in case it’s defective or somehow blows up and leads to bigger issues.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sounds like UPS or whoever the carrier was, damaged the boxes, not Bud's.
$3 is much lower for insurance than I would have expected, if you were paying for one of the carriers to insure.
Why is it your concern how they dispose or sell the ammo? That's between them and a future customer if it gets sold.
Sounds like the ammo got there, just in damaged boxes. By returning it and getting more, you are getting new boxes.
Most ammo has no problem simply getting wet.
I understand your disappointment at receiving the damaged goods, just not the anger at Bud's.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'm confused. They're honoring your claim and going to make you whole... and you're... upset?

But of course, it’s the American way!!

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. I am sending it back. I still disagree though. My point to clarify is as follows. Someone tell me what buying “insurance” from Buds actually did? If I hadn’t purchased insurance I would still send it back for a full refund. So what was I paying for? If it came as it did I would have called for a refund and either got the refund or I would have disputed the charge on my credit card and won most likely. To go further, I paid a minimal amount for insurance (which is pretty cheap from ups, fedex, or usps btw) andits not helping me at all. It’s helping Buds. They are getting the 100 dollar discount and still have the product to sale. They even will probably use my photos for their claim. Lol

My point originally was flawed and I acknowledge that. I still think their insurance is a scam. You ship something that arrives damaged, insurance or not, I’m not paying for it. The CC company will back that up. So yes, the 3 dollar insurance seems remarkably useless to the consumer. I’ve wracked my brain and the only scenario where it makes sense is if UPS delivers and then it’s stolen off my porch or misdelivered. Except that stolen off porch isn’t covered. Looks or damage. They claim it covers damage in shipping but would anyone on this board accept this kind of damage and say “oh well, should have bought the insurance”. I doubt it, which leads back to what does it actually provide.

Academic discussion at this point but continue with the inane I’ll send you 3 bucks comments. Lol

posted Hide Post
Shipping generally covers a small set amount. If the package is lost then the insurance will cover it. Damaged, too. Order a five hundred dollar gun that has fifty dollars insurance, you're out four fifty if the gun is damaged or lost. Pay the insurance on shipping, you don't lose anything if the shipment is damaged or lost.

Your shipment was damaged. You aren't out anything here. They sent a label, they're taking back the damaged product. Not seeing the problem.

I ship things all the time; USPS, FedEx, UPS. Each has a basic coverage for the shipment. If what I ship is worth more than the basic coverage, then it's my option to pay more for shipping insurance to protect the shipment. If I choose not to pay it then I ship cheaper, but I'm out the difference if the shipment is lost or damaged. The shipper is only liable for the stated minimum amount, unless higher coverage is requested.

Likewise, if I order something, the sending company may have a flat rate, or may have offer additional shipping insurance; if I don't pay to cover the additional, then it may be shipped for the minimum amount. If that amount is not enough to cover the product being shipped, them I'm out the difference. Most of the time, the package will get there, no problem. Once in a while there's damage or loss, and then it comes down to whether or not I opted to pay for the additional insurance.

In this case, you opted to pay the extra, and the shipment was damaged, and you're not out anything: you just send it back, they supply the label. Wha they do with the product when they get it back isn't really your problem. Sounds like you have an option: keep wet ammunition, or send it back and be done.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok. I am sending it back. I still disagree though. My point to clarify is as follows. Someone tell me what buying “insurance” from Buds actually did?

I don't know how much more clearly than
quote:
... you paid [Buds] $3 to make you whole regardless of the cost or the reason the product did not arrive, and arrive in satisfactory condition. Otherwise you likely would've been left to UPS' resolution, which would have maxed-out at $100.

it could be explained.

quote:
If I hadn’t purchased insurance I would still send it back for a full refund.

No, you would not. It was a shipping error, not Buds'. (That is unless you believe Buds shipped, and UPS accepted for shipment, a cardboard box so wet it was falling apart.) That means you would have had to have filed a claim with UPS, who would have reimbursed you for $100. Your shipment was insured by Buds. You got your $3 worth, and, as somebody else noted, more.

If you still don't understand it after this, I give up.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I’m upset because their “insurance” didn’t have anything to do with protecting me or making me whole.

How do you know that? They told you they're "self insured." That means you paid them $3 to make you whole regardless of the cost or the reason the product did not arrive, and arrive in satisfactory condition. Otherwise you likely would've been left to UPS' resolution, which would have maxed-out at $100.

I think you're off in the weeds on this one.

I agree, the OP is WAAYYY off. Eek

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post