SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Who can guess where we went this weekend?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who can guess where we went this weekend? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
There's only one place in the world that you can get this view.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Had to look up the museum location but recognized the XB-70. I probably watched every episode of Wings on the History Channel at least once growing up.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's the one. It had been a few years since I'd taken the kids, and they're old enough to really appreciate it now, so I took the boys out to Ohio for the weekend and the girls stayed home and did girl things.

There's some amazing stuff in that place. My favorites are the XB70 and the B36.

This was the original main landing gear design for the B36...would have been cool to see on the plane!

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Great pics. The XB-70 had some amazing capabilities - guess just too many mishaps in development to make it viable. My favorite story from Wings was how one took off painted white and returned gray after the paint delaminated during the test flight.

My nephew moved to Ohio a little over an year ago and is a contractor at Wright-Pat. When I have a chance to visit him I’ll be sure to save time for a tour. Was able to visit the museum at NAS Pensacola a few months ago. I enjoy those places quite a lot.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this
I
Might just add that stop to my bucket list of places to visit.

It could be on my way to the Atlanta Aquarium.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
yes really good photos that museum looks interesting

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2255 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's an excellent museum...will easily fill a day and then some. 4 Large hangars from WW1 to present day, plus a "Missile Silo", and an airpark outside for some stuff that didn't fit inside.

They even have a Presidential aircraft exhibit. It used to be over on the base proper and you had to sign your life away and take a shuttle to get there, but it's now part of the main museum complex. One of the volunteers told me they're slated to get one of the VC25s when they get replaced by the new 747-800 based aircraft.

There's some pretty historically significant aircraft on display, and even a lot of the ones that aren't immediately apparent as significant have some good stories behind them. Taking the free guided tours is worth it, if just for that.

The actual "Memphis Belle"

The Bockscar...dropped the Nagasaki atomic bomb (Enola Gay which dropped on Hiroshima is at the Smithsonian)

The kids really liked the stuff you can get inside:

What's better than one Mustang? 2!

Not every day you see a B52 inside.

They even have some interesting historical firearms:

ICBMs

The plane that took Kennedy to Dallas

And a whole bunch of other really weird stuff...

posted Hide Post
That is super cool. It is amazing at how they get those big planes off the ground. I understand lift,etc., but still pretty amazing.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's it called and where's it at ?
Please

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...residential_aircraft

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Great Museum. I have been there tons of times. I went to college at Wittenberg University which is just a ways down the road.
It was also in the flight path of Wright-Patterson Air force base where the museum is.

Got to see lots of cool planes flying.

I think it was 2003 and Hurricane Isabel that ravaged the east coast all the way up to DC.
They brought tons of planes to Wright Pat from all along the east coast.

The run ways and grounds were all lined up with all sorts of planes.

They had one runway that was awash with B1s and it was absolutely glorious.

They used to have a great Air Show each year. I have not been there in a few years and not sure if they still do it or not.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've been there twice. Great place for airplane addicts, but not representative of the entire Air Force. Not a single exhibit honoring the thousands of radar folks manning the hundreds of radar sites all over the world during the Cold War. You'd think they could at least have one representative radar set on site. There were some notable ones in the late inventory -- the AN/FPS-24 had a rotating sntenna that was 120' wide and 50' tall and weighed 70 tons. There were only 12 of them all got scrapped. Biggest rotating radar ever made. This is a photo of the one not mounted in an 85' tower: EufaulaFPS24Fall1960ax.jpg by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The run ways and grounds were all lined up with all sorts of planes.

They had one runway that was awash with B1s and it was absolutely glorious.

I'd have paid money to see that! Love the B1!

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Love that museum. I have pictures of the XB-70 somewhere but can't seem to find them.

Lots of off-the wall stuff there. It's the only place I have seen an actual Kaman HH-43 Husky in the flesh. My dad flew those in Vietnam during the war and it was cool to see one in person.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Went to grad school at WPAFB. Our class got a tour of the WWII+ aircraft and missiles in the museum by one of our older profs, who talked us thru each iteration of aircraft and missile as tech progressed. Fascinating.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Went to grad school at WPAFB. Our class got a tour of the WWII+ aircraft and missiles in the museum by one of our older profs, who talked us thru each iteration of aircraft and missile as tech progressed. Fascinating.

That would be really cool. One of my favorite things to do is tag along with the guided tours as the volunteers are typically veterans themselves and have a lot of cool stories.

Just last week we were at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola and I started talking to one of the volunteers there. We ended up talking for almost an hour. Turns out he was a Skyraider pilot in Vietnam and had some great stories about flying off of carriers. He had a lot of knowledge about the WWII collection and showed me some interesting stuff about the Corsair that I'd never heard before, too. Fascinating stuff.

Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Truly a spectacular museum, and one that should be at the top of the list for any enthusiast of American history. It is to aircraft what the Cody museum is to firearms.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post