SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    My Camino de Santiago, September 2022
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Camino de Santiago, September 2022 Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
About 10 years ago I watched this movie called The Way starring and directed by Emilio Estevez, although he actually plays a small part. It mainly stars his father, Martin Sheen. I highly recommend the movie. I found it very moving and meaningful.

Well after I saw the movie I knew I'd like to do this. It only took me 10 years to get to it. After I turned 40 I began to think I'd better start checking some stuff off my bucket list so in September 2022 I walked the Camino Portuguese from Porto, Portugal along the Coastal route to the Portugal/Spain border then the Central route to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. I walked the first half with my step-dad and we were joined by my sister, her husband and my oldest niece and they walked with us from the border.

Here are some videos and photos from my trip.

Here are some videos showing the route we walked with distances and elevation changes.
YouTube Playlist
Note, day 7 was a rest day so no video for that day.

Porto, 248+ kilometers to go.

20220904_140449 by Skull Leader, on Flickr

It rained about 20 percent of the time.

image-7ec713a5-c299-4993-bab6-aacf54f58574 by Skull Leader, on Flickr

This was at the end of what was supposed to be a long 18 mile day. In reality it was a 20 mile day and none of us were happy about those 2 extra miles. I asked everybody to show their frustration when I took the photo, but of course my sister had to smile anyway.

image-6941d11d-a144-4ced-beab-e85cf81029fe by Skull Leader, on Flickr

We made it!

image-13ba71ce-ce60-4bcf-8e7c-0778d416225b by Skull Leader, on Flickr

More photos at my Flickr Album.

My niece only went because she got out of school for a week or so. She said I tried to kill her. Big Grin My younger niece has already said that when she turns 15 she would like to walk the Kumano Kodo in Japan. That's only about 40 km, but it's in the mountains. So we'll be planning that for the spring of 2027.

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Congrats on the trip and adventure!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1952 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Just found out that The Way will be in select theaters one night May 16th.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/The-Way-Movie

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Some times the Lord’s timing is pretty wild.
I rarely check the gallery these days and late last night figured I would drop in. I saw your thread and figured I would take a look as I am familiar with this Camino because I listen to Guy Lloyd on the Catholic Channel and he broadcast while he was doing this Camino a few years back.
https://guslloyd.com/blogs/sei...onday-august-27-2018

His inspiration was also the movie The Way. I had wanted to check it out but could not find it streaming anywhere at the time and honestly forgot about it.
Have read up a little bit about it and would love to do it some day but doubt that will ever happen.
Turin and the shroud is my bucket list and certainly hope I will actually get to do that one. The official traveling exhibit is coming locally in the next few weeks so I am looking forward to that.
I was going to post last night but it was getting late so I figured I would wait until today.
Well, Gus Lloyd comes in at 0730 so I was listening and why does he start talking about??
His time in the Camino and the movie The Way.
God’s timing is always so perfect. What are the chances I checked the gallery which I check maybe every few months, then your post, and the next day Gus Lloyd talking about it.

So cool. Looks like you had an absolute wonderful time.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post