SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Desert Tortoise pays us a visit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desert Tortoise pays us a visit Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

... It is a very tortoise-like deliberate process, taking about a minute to complete. One foot at a time, no hurry.

What's that saying, "slow and steady wins the race"?

I'm glad the hands fell off. And it's pretty cool that he just "shows up" at your house like that.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ac130nav
posted Hide Post
I think living in Arizona one would be a little concerned about rattlesnakes using the open door.

Member GOA
NRA Endowment Life Member
Father of three
Grandfather to four
Great Grandfather to two

Posts: 150 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ac130nav:
I think living in Arizona one would be a little concerned about rattlesnakes using the open door.

The two opened doors open onto our dog's area (about 2 acres fenced). Early on, we removed all rodent habitat from that area, and have only seen a few rattlers in that 2 acres in the past 19 years, and never one in the house. They are present in our other 4 acres, though. Removing the snakes' food source goes a long way to eliminating them, but it is not a quick solution, nor absolutely 100% effective. The doors are not open at night, and during the day there is lots of activity on that back porch, which further discourages wild critters of all kinds. The Desert Tortoise is our big exception. He was touring the house today while I watched Netflix.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post