SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Desert Tortoise pays us a visit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desert Tortoise pays us a visit Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted
We've been watching this little guy grow for about 12 years now. It lives somewhere near us, as we see him several times a year. Getting bigger now from the first time we saw him out front eating pebbles.

The wife habitually leaves the kitchen door open (opens to the back porch), and in wanders our visitor, looking for a handout? Unfortunately, some fool neighbor has glued a "prayer hands" medallion to his back. We are afraid to try and remove it for fear of damaging his carapace. Anyway, something you don't usually see. He moves pretty well on the tile, no slipping or sliding.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I love turtles.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I think I would try to remove the medallion with acetone.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Cool

I believe chemicals do leach through the shell and in the body

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
leave it on, he (she) will eventually rub it off or it will fall off,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The tortoise was back again today. Just wandered in an open door (different door this time), took a tour of the house and then left.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have a new pet.
Thankfully he's not really going to run away... Well, not fast.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Love tortoises! Very cool visitor!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Great to have the local fauna make your home theirs too, as long as they are not destructive.

Got to leave that critter some good eats.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Here is some interesting information from the Arizona Desert Museum. You could end up with a life long "pet".

https://www.desertmuseum.org/p...ams/tap_tortcare.php

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is really cool. Especially that he feels comfortable in your home.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Now that he's adopted you folks, has he named you, yet?

Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Enjoying a snack.

When in doubt, mumble

posted Hide Post
Also in Arizona. We have an African sulcata but never had a native wonder through.
Pretty cool!

Posts: 20 | Registered: October 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Since the original post on 2021-05-29, the tortoise has visited inside the house every day. I think we've been adopted.

When in doubt, mumble

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is cool.

I've seen two Eastern Box turtles (a tortoise) near my house in the last few months. I knew they were around, but hadn't seen any in years. The bayous and rivers around here are lousy with all kinds of water turtles, but the land tortoises aren't as common.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I was finally able to catch him in the act of entering the house, and took the pics below. It is a very tortoise-like deliberate process, taking about a minute to complete. One foot at a time, no hurry.

When in doubt, mumble

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
That is pretty amazing and very cool. Thanks for sharing! Please keep us updated.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I see that the medallion is gone. Do you think it fell off on its own?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I see that the medallion is gone. Do you think it fell off on its own?

Jim

We noticed that also. He just showed up one day without it. I hope it just fell off, rather than someone fiddling with removing it.

When in doubt, mumble