SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The Cockatoo's Awesome Hat Thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Cockatoo's Awesome Hat Thread Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted
So I've been hunting one of these a LONG time.
Marzy said hey did you see the hat on E-Bay?
What hat? The Akubra Cockatoo!

Well we worked out a deal and here it is.
An unworn Akubra Cockatoo in my size!
This hat is stupid rare and has a cult following.
And of course I HAVE to have one! Big Grin

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Akubra makes a good hat.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
I have a small collection coming along now.

Here's my Down Under.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You say you love animals but how many felt pelts did it to make that hat ?

But no really it's a good looking lid

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54478 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
You say you love animals but how many felt pelts did it to make that hat ?

But no really it's a good looking lid

Seriously, it's about 12. Since this is a vintage hat, it was made with local pelts from rabbit meat farms.
Akubra buys the pelts. The leather is sold to other places.

Shaman
posted Hide Post
And I got another Akubra!
Ir's a Safari made for Outback Trading Company.
It's their Adventurer with another name on it.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Akubra fan as well. I favor their original Riverina model in fawn. I also have an Akubra kangaroo stampede string that matches the hat's leather hat band.
As an aside I also have an Akubra kangaroo flat weave hat band just like that on Cockatoo's hat stored away. Big Grin
Here's a post I made here a few years ago about it:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Hey does it have a model number on it like mine?

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Hey does it have a model number on it like mine?

Yup. Big Grin Imperial Quality #1040
This one pictured here has 14 years of wear on it and sports the Akubra stampede strings which I wear over the back of the brim and down my back when not in use under my chin to combat high winds.
The wear has faded much of the gold lettering and symbols inside on the sweatband but it was just like yours.

Again the Riverina model was discontinued and later reissued but with higher crown and wider brim dimensions, three vent holes in a triangular format, not lined, and NO sewn brim edges. Frown The original is much nicer in many folks view.

My second is unworn, bought for "insurance" just in case as I absolutely loved this model! Both are size 59 (7 3/8") which is large for me but a little steam on the one I wear shrunk it slightly for a good fit.

Stampede strings

Edited to add that the current version isn't lined like the original either

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Well, I like your's a lot!