SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The F4 is my favorite aircraft.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The F4 is my favorite aircraft. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted

Are there better ones? Sure, now. Are there cooler ones? Maybe.

What I like about the F4 is the raw power, and its ridiculous shape, which to me seems actually natural and animal like.

If the Blue Angels used them, they must be half decent. Pictured with another aircraft that blows me away.

Modern tech is cool. I guess (I know) I'm old, because these aircraft have something more visceral to me than modern ones.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
The F4 my favorite camera Another F4 by Scopophobia, on Flickr

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Posts: 2401 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
As a kid I remember being fascinated with an article in National Geographic on the F4 that described it looking like someone accidentally shut a hanger door on it. Most impressive was a photo of all the ordinance that jet could carry neatly laid out on the floor in front of it.

Posts: 7648 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Phantom was always my favorite aircraft as a kid growing up in the 1980’s. It has a unique, mean look to it. It is iconic and IMO the best looking jet engine aircraft ever made.

My father in law worked on Phantoms in the US Navy. He even got to fly in one and described it as two HUGE jet engines with a little bit of wing attached. Big Grin

As someone who loves military history and who grew up in their hometown NAS Oceana, my favorite squadron will always be VF 143 aka the “Pukin dogs”. The squadron was flying F-18s when I became aware of their most excellent nick name BUT they did fly the F4 Phantom II. They also flew the OG F4 Corsair way back in the day. Big Grin Cool

“The squadron adopted its current insignia in 1953, a winged black griffon on a blue shield. The distinctive squadron name "Pukin' Dogs" came about when the squadron commander's wife saw the creature’s droopy head and gaping mouth design. She stated, in front of the squadron pilots, that it looked like a "pukin' dog." The pilots loved that, and the name stuck.”

-from below link

History of VF-143

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I visited Kirtland AFB in New Mexico during the mid-1960's when I was an AFROTC cadet, and got to watch some really neat aircraft do their stuff.

Each of us tried to prove to the rest that we had the best vision, by watching departing fighter jets in the clear New Mexico skies. F-100's we could watch for about two minutes. F-4's we could still see after about the same, maybe a little less. Then, an SR-71 took off with the loudest, most awe-inspiring roar. As big as it was (at least twice the size of either of the others...

It was completely out-of-sight in 30 seconds!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9364 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Also, a classic Revell model for us kids. I think the forum monkey worked on these in RL, but I've flown these by hand back around early 1980's as a young teen.

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I think the forum monkey worked on these in RL...

I worked most of the models, and was Crew Chief on one of the first E models, 66-0295 (number 12).

Also one of my favorite jets.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44439 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
The F4 is proof that you can attach anything to two J79 engines and it will fly. Big Grin

Posts: 9244 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I agree that the F4 has a purposeful and deadly appearance that most jets don't share.

They were also dominant when I was a kid first noticing such things.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53235 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like Pepe Le Pew is eying up his next target of affection, the Playboy Bunny, in the first photo.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my first WESTPAC, I had to take a Flying Tigers charter flight to Clark AFB Philippines. The guy that sat next to me, was an Air Force back seater in an RF-4 Phantom.

Posts: 274 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites as well.

Spent about 6 years working on aerial reconnaissance cameras and other avionics equipment out of them (RF-4B model).

At the time, the RF was the second fastest aircraft in the US military inventory (only beat by the SR-71). Lots of fond memories of the beloved “Sky-pig” and proof that with enough thrust, a brick will fly.

Grainy old pic, scanned in… guess the F-4 (hint, the exhaust gives it away Wink)

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11207 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Being a young lad in high school at the time, I remember when the Navy switched from the F4 to the F14.
I'll never forget the quip at the time - "Better a sister in a whorehouse than a brother in Tomcat".
That said, while the F4 is impressive, I am all in on the F14. Hell, it has a gun!Smile

Posts: 2844 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
IMO the two sexiest aircraft in history are the F-4 Phantom and the F-4U Corsair. Something about bent wings, maybe? Oh, I used to own a Nikon F4 too. I sold it to finance my first DSLR, and still regret it.

Posts: 7392 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
IMO the two sexiest aircraft in history are the F-4 Phantom and the F-4U Corsair. Something about bent wings, maybe?

I agree with you. My last duty station before I retired was as the Avionics Chief for MAG-41 Det A at Andrews AFB. I retired just as we were transitioning from the F-4 to the FA-18. That was an odd assignment; Marine Squadron assigned to a Naval Air Station aboard an Air Force Base.

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 184 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
That's a great photo (SR-71 and F-4). Two awesome aircraft. They were retired before I got to see any CAS work (F-15, F-16 F/A-18, A-10 only). I always thought the F-4 aircraft were awesome.

Posts: 1795 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Two of my favorite aircraft in one pic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
The F4 has always been my favorite. I guess growing up during the 60's-70's had an influence on me. Fast forward to the mid 90's and I bought a house next door to a guy who was a back seater on a US Navy F4 during Vietnam. On one of their missions they had a mechanical failure over the South China sea while heading back to the carrier. They had to eject and my neighbor suffered a couple injuries. He went state side to recover and left the Navy soon after.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1541 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The Arizona ANG was still flying F-4s when I was in college at UofA; the campus was on the approach to DM AFB. All classroom instruction stopped when a flight of F-4s passed overhead. LOUD!

Posts: 13556 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post