SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The F4 is my favorite aircraft.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The F4 is my favorite aircraft. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
IMO the two sexiest aircraft in history are the F-4 Phantom and the F-4U Corsair. Something about bent wings, maybe? Oh, I used to own a Nikon F4 too. I sold it to finance my first DSLR, and still regret it.

You, Sir, have excellent taste in aircraft.

I was stationed at Clark Air Base, RP in 1970/71 and saw Phantoms all the time.

I went to an air show at Owl's Head here in Maine and saw a F4U Corsair do a low altitude (really, REALLY low...) pass, pull up, go around, land and taxi up to within 100 feet of me. I needed a towel and a cigarette...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15481 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

One thing nice about the F4 is the cockpit roominess. Something that the Skyhawk, Harrier, and even the F-16 suffer from the lack of.

Posts: 597 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I do think a lot of planes are cool, but the F4 has unique style.. as well as a "no problem thrust can't solve" attitude.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
When I lived on Bergstrom Air Force Base, my Dad and I watched them take off all the time.
Of course I loved the Thunderbirds.

Posts: 5059 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
the muscle car version of fighter jets

Posts: 1653 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Absolute fact!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44439 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it’s got a big enough engine, even a brick will fly. LOL

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 561 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local military museum has one. One thing pictures never due justice is how long the F4 is in person. The engines are about as long as the entire jets nearby the F4.

Posts: 3325 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I asked my father in law, a man of few words,
what it was like to fly in an F4. His exact words “it was intense”. Big Grin

That was about all I could get out of him, the man does not like to talk about his time in the US Navy unfortunately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The history of it, and its record, and the look, and engineering, and lethality. Are there "better" jets? Yes.

I kinda feel that way about the M14.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Excuse me sir but your tail wing is upside down.

We had a squadron of F4s in Birmingham when I was a kid. My dad was an aircraft mechanic in the early 60s but he only got to work on prop planes. He always liked the F4 and always commented on the upside down tail.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8009 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post