SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Waxing Nostalgic - Retiring a Patrol Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waxing Nostalgic - Retiring a Patrol Rifle Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
It’s funny how inanimate objects can spawn a certain sense of nostalgia. I’ve learned over the years that it’s not even necessarily the quality of the things that really endears one to them, but the experiences that one has, good or bad. That old car that you took on 20 different road trips (and maybe you even had to crawl under it on the side of the road once or twice), that cheap, beat-up watch that has been on your wrist telling time day in and day out for the past 15 years, or that well-worn knife that’s always clipped to your pocket when you need it. Stuff like that.

That’s how I feel about this rifle. It’s nothing fancy…just an 11 year-old PSA build from back in the early days. It has a fixed FSB, is mostly basic mil-spec (except for the MBT-2 trigger) with some Magpul parts, a used Aimpoint PRO that I bought from a vendor here on the forum, and a cobbled together flashlight mount. By today’s standards it’s pretty clunky, but it’s entirely functional, and was what I could afford at the time. I bought it right after I got hired as a reserve, and then after I went full-time and they started letting us have patrol rifles if we provided them ourselves, it made its way into the rack in my patrol car.

That gun has taken some verbal abuse from guys from other agencies, but I’ve been to plenty of trainings with those guys and seen their “better”rifles go down while that cheap PSA just kept running. It’s never once missed a beat, is very smooth shooting, and is plenty accurate for its intended purpose.

Here in small-town America, we thankfully don’t get too many situations where it has to come out of the rack, but the few we have aren’t ones you’d quickly forget. Thankfully I’ve never had to pull the trigger in any of them, but there’s never been an iota of doubt in my mind that it would get the job done if I needed to…and that’s pretty comforting when you’re dealing with some of the more terrifying stuff that life brings your way.

The department decided earlier this year that for various reasons (which I agree with) we need to get away from having guys using personally owned rifles, and go to department-provided weapons. Our new Sig M400s got issued this week, and with their arrival, the old girl is coming home. I’m sure I can still find some use for it, and it’ll get its share of range time, but its working days are over.

The new M400s are definitely nice, and by all accounts a significant upgrade, but there’s something about replacing a proven piece of equipment that’s just a little sad. I felt like it deserved a commemorative post, so here you have it. If you’ve got a similar gun story, feel free to share!

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this,92fstech, the autumn leaves are perfect.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Ah, love it!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Simple ARs are the best.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
that's a nice setup. simple and clean.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Excellent tribute and great picture.

She's a beauty.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post