SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Custom holsters - Milt Sparks & Other custom makers
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom holsters - Milt Sparks & Other custom makers Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheFrontRange:

"Old School" leather and Bear Hug grips ??? I like how you roll! Smile

I got these Bear Hug stocks from Deacon Deason and the #1AT holster from Milt Sparks right after S&W came out with their limited run of Model 24-3 .44 Specials. I had my 6.5" barrel trimmed down to 5" (just like Skeeter preferred), an action job, and a smooth "Combat trigger" installed by James Hoag in Canoga Park. Neither the revolver or the accessories will part from me as long as I'm around to appreciate them.

Oh, my gosh, man, back at you - what a great combo that is!

I tell ya, I’ve wanted a set of these stocks ever since I regrettably let a set go some years back. Fast-forward to finding that 4-inch 27 for sale on GB…I kept thinking that those grips looked an awful lot like Bear Hug / Blu-Magnums, but I was afraid to ask the seller haha…won the auction and got the gun home and sure enough, they are BHs. I’ve given them a whirl on my 5-inch 27 and will do the same on my 3-1/2-inch one, too, but they just feel so “at-home” on this particular gun.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
PMK w/ shark trim

I have that exact holster for my 3" N-frames. It's a beautiful piece of leather.

RGrizzle is amazing. I did piece on him and some other small shops some years back. Save one, all are still in business and thriving.

https://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=17058

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thad Rybka Rhodesian holster in black with matching magazine pouch for a Browning Hi Power. These were found for sale on the Milt Sparks Leather online store; they occasionally have random pieces of new Rybka gunleather.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
This HSR holster, sized for a 4-inch S&W N-frame, recently arrived from Milt Sparks via Allan Yoast Firearms. Holster looks different to me - it’s all scratched-up! Wink

Holster is housing a S&W 27-3 wearing Bear Hug Grips.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
This HSR holster, sized for a 4-inch S&W N-frame, recently arrived from Milt Sparks via Allan Yoast Firearms. Holster looks different to me - it’s all scratched-up! Wink

Holster is housing a S&W 27-3 wearing Bear Hug Grips.

Great "Pairing", like a fine wine and food!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Great "Pairing", like a fine wine and food!

Thank you! Wearing this combo as I type. I do wonder if my occasional OCD will soon require that I obtain matching spare ammo carriers and a belt similarly carved? haha…

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Well now, today is 36 weeks on my Milt Sparks holster order. The quoted lead time was 20 to 26 weeks on the order confirmation dated December 9th, 2021.

The Milt Sparks website as of today says lead time is approximately 26 to 30 weeks.

I called them exactly at 26 weeks and they said they were a month behind.

Somebody is lying.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^^ ugh, I’m sorry that your order is running longer than they promised. I’m tempted to say that my last one was a week or so past the estimated timeframe. I’d say another call to them might be in order.

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I searched online yesterday and found Tony K.'s email address. (owner of Milt Sparks)
I sent him an nicely worded email.
Today, a Milt Sparks charge showed up on my online credit card statement.

NRA Instructor

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^^ Sounds like you will be enjoying that new-gunleather-from-Idaho smell in a matter of just a few days!

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I think my last order was pretty close to on time, but I knew what was happening because I had been communicating with the shop about custom work they were doing. To me, it’s a lot like NFA stamps. You just have to wait it out. I have some cool leather I’m expecting from R Grizzle any day. I’m going to try and dig out some leather to take more pics sometime next week.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yes, Ordering a custom holster is a leap of faith. It isn't the first time I've had holster makers drop the ball on a order.
When you look at all the holster options out there and make your decision, part of the selection process is being willing to accept the advertised lead time. (or close to the advertised lead time)
Meaning, I want that particular holster and I am willing to wait xx weeks for it.
When the quoted lead time is reasonably accurate, it's all good.
When it's not even close, it's deceptive advertising.
When I pointed out to Tony K. that my lead time was SIX weeks beyond what they were presently quoting on their website for their upper number, and TEN weeks past the upper number for what they originally quoted me, and SIXTEEN weeks beyond the lower number of my original quote, it's pretty obvious which it is.
In my case, the holster I ordered was the only one I could source that met my specifications. So I was willing to wait for it. I was even willing to accept that the lead times quoted will always have some "wiggle room" as that's the nature of the business.
My hunch is that the higher the quoted lead time on the website, the slower the new orders arrive. Only the truly dedicated will wait for the long duration.
So it's a fine line for the holster makers. Do we lie to the customers that are placing orders, or do we lie to the customers that have already ordered.
More likely, split the difference and lie to both.

NRA Instructor

Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
The wait for a Grizzle is worth it.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Milt Sparks SSII for a CZ P-01.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Some Idaho goodness arrived today!
I have a knife arriving sometime this week, it's in transit.
I will post some photos when I can photograph the pair together.
Just a few days short of 37 weeks wait.
It does appear the impatient wait was worth it.

NRA Instructor

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^^ Hey, that is GREAT news - looking forward to seeing the pics!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
A mix of Milt Sparks and Barranti gunleather with a 3-1/2”-barreled S&W 27-2…and an Aloha shirt! Smile

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
^ And stamped by Badger!

A SSII cut for a G19 with red dot. Also stamped by Badger.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^^ Love it and, yes, the Badger-stamp is a MUST!

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Last year (2021) in November, I spotted a trade deal on another Forum for a like new Ruger Redhawk Backpacker. I traded a seldom used Ruger Mini 30 rifle for the revolver.
This Backpacker is a discontinued TALO model chambered in .44 Magnum and with a 2.625" barrel length. (advertised bbl length is 2.750" and measured bbl length is real close to 2.625")
Note that the Ruger Backpacker is built on the standard Redhawk revolver frame, while the Ruger Alaskan is built on the Super Redhawk revolver frame.
The ammo pictured is Hornady Critical Defense .44 Special with the red polymer tipped FTX projectiles.

In December, I ordered a Milt Sparks PMK holster for the Redhawk. Earlier this week, the holster finally arrived. Just short of 37 weeks waiting. Original quote was 20 to 26 weeks.
The holster is Cordovan cowhide with black elephant trim. They refused to make a PMK holster from horsehide which I would have preferred.
It was worth the wait!

Back in the 2013 vicinity, I received a Buck "Hoodlum" knife as a gift. At that time frame, Buck Knives did a collaboration with famed knife designer Ron Hood.
That collaboration resulted in a three knife series. The "Hoodlum" with a 10 inch blade, The "Thug" with a 7.5 inch blade, and the "Punk" with a 5.5 inch blade. (all blade lengths approximate)
All three have premium 5160 spring steel blades and CNC machined Micarta scales. They also have a "shock mitigation" system between the full tang blade steel and the knife scales. (handles)
The "Hoodlum" is a serious outdoor duty knife. The "Thug" or "Punk" could be used as a EDC fixed blade.
I just found a Kydex bender that makes a horizontal sheath (Scout style) for the "Thug" and it attaches to the wearers belt with two leather straps, each strap with two snaps.
Here is a link to the Kydex Scout style sheath which I have not purchased yet. https://armorsheaths.com/produ...heath-in-scout-carry
The OEM sheaths for the "Hoodlum" and "Thug" are massively huge slabs of ballistic nylon fabric/polymer sheath blade liners with accessory pouches, straps and paracord.

After about a year's production, the Buck/Ron Hood three knife series was dropped from production. They have significantly increased in value.
I spotted an unused "Thug" recently on eBay and acquired it. It arrived today.

IMG_20220825_130341977_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_130430110_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_130516968_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_130605243_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_130634991_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_130945072_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_131003828_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_131124413_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20220825_131200319_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Edit: I just ordered one of the Scout style sheaths.

NRA Instructor