SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Moose!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose! Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
My sister in law shot this on the west side of Trail Ridge Road.

Moose by Kent Matthew, on Flickr

Posts: 7518 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
That is a happy looking moose.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know it's time to mow the lawn when. . . .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
A lot of people do not actually realize how large a full grown bull moose is in real life when up close and personal.. Even a cow moose is not small........................ saw many while in the interior of Alaska...... drill sgt.

Posts: 1997 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kept Bum
posted Hide Post
Why the long face?

"It does not require many words to speak the truth.".....Chief Joseph

https://pbase.com/shellyva/image/171613535

Posts: 88 | Location: Out there, somewhere | Registered: May 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
They are dumb as they are majestic.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Trust me the are not as dumb as some people think and can be very aggressive if riled up.. Plus you do not want to get between a momma moose and her calf. When out in the woods I wore a string hanging from belt loop that had several small bells that made noise so as the wildlife (moose/buffalo/ bears/ sheep/ wolves/ fox/lynx/etc would know that humans were out and about and steer clear of the bell tinkling. ........................ drill sgt.

Posts: 1997 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My back property line is a fresh water stream. It meanders a couple of miles through the woods to a small pond. It has (or did have last time I went up it) several beaver dams in various states of repair so much of the land on either side of it is marshy and wet.

In our younger, more fit days, Mrs. PHPaul and I used to canoe (and later kayak) up it off an on in the Summer. Once, in the canoe, we came around a bend and spied a cow moose in the reeds off to our right. I was in front and was paddling hard trying to get a little closer (say 50 yards or so) for a better look and wasn't making any progress.

I looked back and Mrs. PHPaul was paddling backwards for all she was worth, wanting to get the hell out of there! I acceded her wishes, which in retrospect was probably wise.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I have learned as well that Mrs. Goose is usually right. I don't always listen, but she's usually right.

Posts: 7518 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Moose Nugget Jewelry..... Very interesting.... Could be found almost all over Alaska especially where the tourist could be found. ... drill sgt.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a moose in RMNP. Cool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

I don't know that they are any dumber than any other deer, but that isn't saying much.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Having been chased a couple of times by unhappy meese, I sure hope that pic was taken from farther away than it looks like.

Them critters are nothing to trifle with.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...

If you find a dead one on the roadway, don't put it in your back seat.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

I don't know that they are any dumber than any other deer, but that isn't saying much.

They aren't so much dumb as they are tough, when it comes to dealing with predators. Cows will ferociously defend calves against wolves as well as bear. Bulls can be extremely dangerous during encounters with humans when in the rut and charges aren't infrequent.

One thing I can attest to after harvesting two moose myself, and that's to their value as table fare. They provide not just quantity, but some of the best quality meat among ungulates. Absolutely delicious, with only Axis deer coming close IMHO. I've heard that our Arizona Coues deer are pretty good too, but haven't had the opportunity to take one yet. I was drawn for a buck this year and hope to change that after Thanksgiving.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10193 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post