SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    "Old School" shift knob
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Old School" shift knob Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
The trend in recent years has been for various metal designs for shift knobs in sports cars.

I had originally swapped out the OEM knob for a Team VooDoo spun pearl aluminum finish shift knob shortly after buying my S2K new in 2003. I had a similar knob on a '97 Miata. But in 2008 I went "old school" with this nice wood knob. It has served me well since. No sun heated hot metal to grasp. And yes, it has darkened with age. Big Grin

The old VooDoo knob in a cockpit shot:

The VooDoo knob on the left, a Skunk2 knob I bought but returned unused as it wasn't the anniversary model they had described, and the OEM knob on the right.

And the Knobmeister custom next to the VooDoo.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Very nice, all you need now is a wood and leather steering wheel to complete the look

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Maybe an 8-ball shift knob?

Or the old classic, eyeball model?

https://www.speeddawg.com/eyeball-shift-knob/

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I like it! Sure looks to be a short throw to shift, I like that..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I like it! Sure looks to be a short throw to shift, I like that..

It is quite a short throw shifter from the factory. The S2000 transmission is often touted as being one of the smoothest and best manuals ever made.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Very nice, all you need now is a wood and leather steering wheel to complete the look

I actually thought about this but none would retain the finger touch cruise control switches of the OEM steering wheel. It presented a problem of relocation or elimination. Decided I didn't want the challenges.

FWIW the cruise control has been used on long distance road trips traversing long stretches of big interstate highways.

And as an aside the Team VooDoo knob, first produced in 1992 by Bob Krueger for the Miata, was inspired by those on exotic Italian sports cars of previous era.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I guess a T-knob isn't in the running?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
The "aged" wood gives a much more "eye" appeal. .................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1999 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
The "aged" wood gives a much more "eye" appeal. .................. drill sgt.

Agree, a classic ageless look for a sports car.

quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I guess a T-knob isn't in the running?

For a muscle car, sure, but not a fit at all for a sports car.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Maybe an 8-ball shift knob?

Or the old classic, eyeball model?

Used to see those in hot rods and jalopies but again never in a sports car.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Bought a "carbon fiber" ball knob for my 04 Civic. Looks great, but when it arrived, I figure it had to be faux carbon fiber wrap over a ball of steel.

If I hit a pothole, or cross a pedestrian speed bump too fast, the shift handle pops the trans out of gear.

Going to look into alum, or wood!

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I like it, the wood looks classic.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the classic wood look, never really thought about wood not being as hot to grab after being up car during the summer!!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks great & something I'll keep in mind when I get closer to roadworthy with the 'Lotus'
Having no doors/windows/roof, will have for a warm interior & the less touchable metal the better.
Currently has the OE FC RX7 shift knob, which is fairly worn.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Looks great & something I'll keep in mind when I get closer to roadworthy with the 'Lotus'
Having no doors/windows/roof, will have for a warm interior & the less touchable metal the better.

Your project documentary thread reflects your amazing skill set and a favorite car from my youth.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Your project documentary thread reflects your amazing skill set and a favorite car from my youth.

Skillset is being put to the test & will be added to immensely as the build progresses.

Hoping to get the Dorito-spinner on the engine stand this week to start teardown.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dorito-spinner

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I drove an s2000 years ago. Sooth as heck pretty quick, very stiff and man 9000rpm was a song! Great car!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always preferred the plain white knob with black inlay myself. Though I am admittedly a muscle car fan. Always liked the look of a Hurst stick and the plain knob, just never liked the ugly rubber shift boot most had.

Anyway, looks good.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2734 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Of the 31 manual transmission vehicles I've owned since 1964 this basic Hurst type ball has been in at least 25+ of them. Here is the last 'stick' I had.

2008 C6

Posts: 4021 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Recently swapped stock shifter to MGW shifter in my C6Z06. I went with one of their knobs and like it very much. photo below

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2750 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post