SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Gave up and got a new (old) Canon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gave up and got a new (old) Canon Login/Join 
posted
Been working with the 5D that was "good enough" for studio work years ago. The lure of more resolution has been hard to resist, but budgets and all, since I'm no longer earning a living with the thing, I just always shook it off.

Then the other day, I thought.... Hey, there is such a thing as used equipment... I wonder what some of the stuff I used to lust after costs today?

Soooo, there's a new "old" Canon 1DS MK III in the house. 21.1 MP. Found one that was a bit rough cosmetically, but had a shutter count of under 10K for a whopping $400. New they were like $8K.

This was a very good use for $400, I think!

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skills - the man has skills - nice pic.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the thing about products that are heavily based on the latest "technology"; there's always going to be something new coming along to knock it off its pedestal. Give it a few years and never mind yesterday's news, it's now becomes forgotten news, despite having plenty of life, performance and quality left to give.

Wonderful pic, btw. Smile

-MG

Posts: 1987 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
As much as I appreciate photography, cellphone cameras have gotten so good that the pictures can look just as good as one taken with a professional camera if the person knows what they're doing. But of course speaking as a layman.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember reading something about shutter clicks and service intervals on some of the larger or higher priced cameras, even digital,

is there sensor degradation? or just service needed for the mechanical bits?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good camera. I was looking at one of those for some dance / concert photography last year. Low light plus motion seems to be an area where phone cameras can't compare yet.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I vaguely remember reading something about shutter clicks and service intervals on some of the larger or higher priced cameras, even digital,

is there sensor degradation? or just service needed for the mechanical bits?

Mainly the shutter itself, although I am sure there must be some point at which the sensor will develop issues. I know on one of my old full time cameras, the D60 I think, it ended up with a few dead pixels I was always having to edit.

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those cameras are great for sure

Posts: 11 | Location: Ashland Ohio | Registered: February 04, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
As much as I appreciate photography, cellphone cameras have gotten so good that the pictures can look just as good as one taken with a professional camera if the person knows what they're doing. But of course speaking as a layman.

This is totally true, and not true, all at once.

The real thing that determines whether a picture is good is the eye and sensibility of the photographer. A good photographer can make a good photo with a Kodak Brownie camera. A bad photographer can't make a good photo with the latest and greatest gear.

Higher end equipment is undoubtedly better than a cell phone. Full stop. Some photo work requires that extra quality - photos for publication or large prints, for example. Higher end cameras can make it easier for the photographer in that he doesn't have to fret about some of the technical details.

For many purposes a cell phone is more than good enough, and they are so "smart" now that they correct a lot of what would have been exposure mistakes in older cameras. So for snapshots and photos to post on Twitter, a cell phone is, for practical purposes, as good for as a $30,000 setup.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post