SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A long time ago
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A long time ago Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I was graduating from college and starting work in 1984. I didn't know you lived in Houston then, Para. I've been there continuously since 1978.

Kodachrome was a great film. A processed slide is very stable. It also has that warm, rich Kodachrome look.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JamesD
posted Hide Post
Para,

I really like your photograph.
I miss photography like that.

So much of what you see people doing today is so "artsy."
Seems so "self aware."

Your picture reminds me of the work of William Eggleston,

http://www.egglestontrust.com/bio.html

and Stephen Shore.

http://www.billcharles.com/shore/stephenshore_1.htm

Thanks for posting it for us to look at.

Btw, I was in a dusty old Mom and Pop book store one winter day, many many years ago. I had on my Viet Nam era Army field jacket. And it was sorta hot in there. I took it off and threw it over the back of the chair to sit and look through something. And ended up walking out without it. Went back when I realized what I had done, but it was gone. I still miss it, thirty years later. So I know how you feel about your old rifle.

James

P.S. I was stationed at Fort Polk 1971-1973. Made a lot of weekend trips to Lake Charles looking for ANY thing to do. If you ever got up around Ft. Polk or Leesville back then-ish, you know what I'm talking about.

Let us to't pell-mell.
If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell.

- Richard III Act V, Scene III

Posts: 494 | Location: Georgia [up in the mountains] | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
I’m not a fan of Eggleston but I do like Shore’s work.

I’ve always thought of Eliot Porter as the father of color photography. He was a great black and white photographer who started shooting in color in 1939. He never had the highly saturated color films to work with that have been around the last 25 years but his photos were way ahead of their time.

See his work at http://www.cartermuseum.org/collections/porter/collection.php

P.S. I took my basic training at Fort Polk in 1966. Spent a few Saturday nights in Alexandria and it was borrrrring. One Saturday night six of us (4 whites and 2 blacks) went into Leesville but none of the bars and restaurants along the main drag would let the black guys in. I said there has to be a place somewhere in town that would let all of us in and one of the black guys says, “You don’t want to go there”. I said “Hell yes” and we went over the black side of town and went into a club there. There must have been 200 blacks and only about 10 of us white guys in the place. We had a great time.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Rural North Central Illinois | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
James

P.S. I was stationed at Fort Polk 1971-1973. Made a lot of weekend trips to Lake Charles looking for ANY thing to do. If you ever got up around Ft. Polk or Leesville back then-ish, you know what I'm talking about.

I was at Ft. Polk in 72 & 73

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
Good memories, Para. Lazy Summer days when time was just what passed till dusk.

1984 sorta seems like just yesterday to me.
I was 48 & in the violent crimes unit chasing bad guys and probably getting thick enough I wasn't a challange in a foot race, but the beers and pizza at end of shift takes it's toll. Wink

"Only the Dead Have Seen an End to War" Plato.

Posts: 1197 | Location: South Rome, Illinois | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unbanned Member
Picture of xr650
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Para.
PoGo and I got married July of '84.

Posts: 1120 | Location: Wyldoming | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I was reading up on slide to digital converters and the point was made that Kodachrome slides do not do well with the ICE technology that can be used to clean up slides that have dust or scratches.
That's right. I scanned this slide with my Nikon Coolscan IV, which has ICE, and ICE does not work with Kodachrome. This is due to the thickness of Kodachrome emulsion.
I have a lot of old Kodachrome slides but I haven't scanned many of them because dust and scratch cleanup must all be done manually.

In the case of this slide, I swabbed both sides with a lintless q-tip dipped in Edwal Film Cleaner and hit it with a shot of compressed air before scanning.
I then manually removed all dust spots with Photoshop, then adjusted the gamma, color balance and saturation.

Not to hijack the thread, but do you know if the ICE thing doesn't work specifically with B&W film? I've had to turn it off when scanning Tri-X 400 (120 film)and also 35mm Ilford Delta 400. It ends up causing all sorts of strange blotches. Its too bad because it works wonders on my color film.

Great picture by the way!!

Posts: 582 | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gmilitano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan the man:
quote:
Originally posted by Tango Sierra:
Who let all these kids in here. I thought the waiver said you had to be over 40 to be a member of SIGForum.

You said what I was thinking Tango. Wink

I like the picture also Para. It captures a sense of the time it was taken. Makes me nostalgic about the 80's. Reagan at the helm, Carson on every night, big hair.....
SIGHHHHHH........ Smile

They probably didn't even have the internet when you were my age Dan Big Grin

Don't worry Dan I got this for ya...

When he was your age Ube, whippersnappers were taught to respect their elders!! Big Grin hehehe.

Lets see, 1984, I turned 17 in July and was starting my senior year of HS that September. Seems like a lifetime ago......

"Sometimes I wonder if this world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Posts: 3936 | Location: Alabama | Registered: November 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Geez 1984, I was 23 @ School of Visual Arts NYC.
Photography.

Had a Valmet m71s, HK91, AR15. Leader T2, M1 Carbine and an UZI model A.

All of which have been sold. :^)

Don't regret owning or selling anything... we are only stewards in life to these belonings.

I only have regret for the things I didn't buy, or lament the things I didn't have money for.

S&W 9mm carbine $500.
Johnson Automatic Rifle (mint) $550.
Sig AMT - 2000. (I offered the dealer all of the Assault Weapons I owned for trade).
FAMAS - 1200.

The FAMAS, though ugly, was sweet.

Billy

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I feel compelled to say that I'm not much more than a year older than that photo!

Smile Big Grin

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd been working for AT&T for about ten years in 1984 and my kids were 7 & 13.
I've always prefered (and still use) Fuji Velvia for transparencies, but Ilford makes a great C-41 B&W film - XP2.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6414833

Harold B
----------------------
"God made men, but Sam Colt made them equal."

Posts: 1009 | Location: Pacific NW - USA | Registered: November 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SGT45
posted Hide Post
I was promoted to "PFC" that year=Patrolman First Class. Wow, how time can fly.

SGT 45
P320 Compact 9mm w/ MS (3)
P320 Compact 9mm FDE
P320 Compact/Carry 9mm FDE
P320 Compact .45 w/MS
P938
P229
--- Lots of Glocks

Posts: 437 | Location: Gettysburg,PA USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
In 1984 I was cruising around the Mediterranean in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. LOL

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My uncle Bill (now gone, RIP) taught me to shoot when I was six years old. It was down by the tracks just like the photo. Ruger MK1, USGI 1911, and USGI M-1 Carbine. In 1984 I was out of the Army for the first time and was working in a very high end department store called Fox and Sutherland. The camera dept was a bunch of shutter nuts amd we had access to everything at cost. Kodachrome 64 was nice, but you haven't lived unitl you've used the Professional Kodachrome 25. Shot at an ASA of 32, the slides take on an almost 3D quality. Print it on a Cibachrome and it's almost a holigram.

quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Mmmmm, Kodachrome. My all time favorite.
It reminds me of last-minute runs to the only same-day K64 processor in L.A. in order to get my projects done on time. The colors were and still are beautiful. When everyone else was switching to Fujichrome I stuck with K64.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i was still a sperm cell swimming around somewhere when that shot was taken. i wish i grew up in the 80's. seems like a rad era.

Posts: 57 | Location: Dock o' the Bay, San Francisco | Registered: December 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
In 1984 I was 13. I think I was just starting to get acquainted with my gun. Razz

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I was graduating from college and starting work in 1984.

I was probably at the babysitter's house watching Lone Ranger reruns or the Dukes of Hazzard. I was 4 years old when you graduated college!

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
July '84.... I was 14 then and drooling over my grandfather's Reminton Rand 1911A1

Posts: 24 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned\Troll
posted Hide Post
NICE

Posts: 463 | Location: FL | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was into my 12th year on the police department and getting ready to turn 41. Damn,I'm an old fart. Frown

Posts: 25 | Location: Elyria, Ohio | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post