SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Colt Series 70 a’la Yost-Bonitz and KGB Customs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Series 70 a’la Yost-Bonitz and KGB Customs Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
I don’t know the full history on this 1981-era Colt. At some point it received some touches from the former Yost-Bonitz partnership and was later further enhanced by KGB Customs. I’ve logged just about 3,000 rounds through it myself and (clearly) enjoy it. It’s in my lineup of “carry” 1911s. Shown here with some of the leather I use: a Milt Sparks Roadrunner OWB holster and their S4C magazine pouch. Magazines are from Wilson Combat. The grips are Craig Spegels.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A beauty. Just what you want and nothing else.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Simple, elegant, classic - both the gun and leather.

What's the leather bag in the background of the first photo?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
A beauty. Just what you want and nothing else.

Thank you!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Beautiful. Simple, elegant, classic - both the gun and leather.

What's the leather bag in the background of the first photo?

Many thanks! That bag is a Saddleback briefcase (at the moment, I don’t remember exactly what model of theirs it is). I blame this fine Forum for my minor Saddleback addiction haha - someone here posted about their Saddleback wallet and that’s where it all started for me.

Better shot of the bag posing here at work haha:

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

posted Hide Post
Many thanks, FrontRange. I've been looking for a good leather briefcase and Saddleback has gone to the top of the list.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
You’re most welcome! Mine has served well. It got a 14-month break from daily use with a stint telecommuting during the height of the pandemic; I’ve been glad to have it back on my shoulder!

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
That is a clean custom. I'd be proud to have such a beast in my safe.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Many thanks!

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I love the understated simplicity of that gun. It's a looker, but not flashy...a fine precision instrument designed to be used.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I love the understated simplicity of that gun. It's a looker, but not flashy...a fine precision instrument designed to be used.

Many thanks! I think that’s exactly what caught my eye about it when I saw it for sale - a rather simple-looking Series 70 that, on closer review, had had some nice attention paid to it over time.

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
What a beautifully executed combat 5" 1911.
Fantastic example of a custom/practical working gun. Very nice sir, enjoy it.

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Tell us about the front sight.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9356 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
Sweet! Tell us about the front sight.

Thank you! I bought the gun from KGB Customs via another forum. When KGB originally offered it up for sale, the gun was showing quite a bit of honest wear. Karl Beining (Mr. KGB himself haha) offered to sell the gun as it was, or to have some upgrades made at additional cost. Apparently, a member of the forum opted to buy the gun and wanted the upgrades but, after Karl had the work done, the prospective buyer had vanished and the gun went back up for sale...and the rest is history. The front sight was one of the upgrades and was described as a Yost gold-line front. It’s the first gun I’ve had so-equipped; I’m liking it thus far.

From the pics of the gun in its original-sale state, the front sight had some sort of red plastic insert, somewhat similar to but not identical to the red-ramps that S&W used to put on revolvers.

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I thought it might be a gold insert but wasn't sure, thanks. That is a perfect 1911, just needs a flat mainspring housing. Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9356 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you and I tend to agree, I’d like to install a checkered, flat MSH haha!

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That is indeed a beautiful gun. Great setup.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you!

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a magnificent pistol and rig.

You just need nothing else!!

Thanks for sharing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Many thanks!