SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    1977-Era Colt Series 70 With Some Custom Touches
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1977-Era Colt Series 70 With Some Custom Touches Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
This is another item from the ongoing smorgasbord of fine arms from KGB Customs. KGB installed the solid Harrison trigger at my request; beyond that, the craftsman behind the rest of the work is, at this time, unknown.

Enhancements to this pistol include a lowered ejection port, checkered frontstrap and mainspring housing, and a grip safety relieved for an aftermarket hammer. Of additional interest are the sights - this is a set of “King-Tappan” sights, apparently designed by the late gunwriter / survivalist Mel Tappan and sold by King’s Gunworks. There are likely those of you out here far more in-the-know about these - feel free to update or correct me, as this is my first and rather belated exposure to these sights in-person. It’s my understanding that they were quite “the thing” in their heyday.

The stag grips were my addition. They give a hint of that “Longmire” look haha...I have come around in a big way to grips like this on the right gun, and the frame-checkering this gun offers helps keep things anchored along the way.

I’ve put about 300 rounds through this gun so far with, Lord, willing, many more to follow. It shoots quite well for me.

As shown here, the gun was still dirty from the range but more or less wiped-down. Gunleather is what I was already wearing that particular range-day: a Bruce Nelson Combat Leather (from Erik Little’s BNCL “revival”) Summer Special IWB holster and a Milt Sparks S4C magazine pouch.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeriel
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 1461 | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
A few more pics showing some holster detail...

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Wow, another nice clean customized combat pistol from years gone by.
To have those mods done 40 yes ago would have cost good money from one of the big name gunsmiths.

I particularly like the front sight with “line” under the Dot, I would presume for a reference point for longer range shooting.

Looks like it’s in nice shape to boot, good for you, enjoy!

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you and, from what I’ve read, you’re right about the line on the front sight. Placing that line at the top of the rear was supposed to put the shooter on-target for 100 yards. I doubt I’ll put that to the test haha...

It pales in comparison, but I did head back out to the indoor range with this gun. Target shown took a little over 70 rounds at a whopping 7 yards, 2- and 3-shot strings from concealment (using a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB this time and another Sparks S4C magazine pouch).

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A great example of a customized 1911 of the late '70s or early '80s. The work looks really well done, too. Most of us would want a beavertail safety (those old nub safeties rub a lot of people's hands the wrong way), but other than that, it doesn't need anything else.

Very nice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you and I agree - count me amongst the beavertail grip safety crowd. I was pleasantly surprised to have very little discomfort following 300-ish rounds through this gun in its first session, then another 100-plus in a second range trip.

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you!

posted Hide Post
Overall very nice no excess bling.
I would use a shorter trigger ( USGI A1’s length) but otherwise wouldn’t change anything.
Old school simplicity with no complex solutions to simple problems

Posts: 3267 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. I really like those grips.

Posts: 17048 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Many thanks! I found them on Etsy, of all places, a few years back. They’ve spent time on a handful of my 1911s since then, but this Colt might be “home” for them.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
By way of agreeing with you, if that was my 1911, those grips would never come off except for whatever cleaning and maintenance requires it. They look perfect on that gun.

Posts: 17048 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous gun. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you both!

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
That is gorgeous.
Those grips set it off perfectly.
Nice job.

Posts: 22854 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Nice Colt! Shoots as good as it looks.

I dig the Harrison trigger. My stainless Government model has a Harrison solid medium trigger and now my other 1911 needs one too.

Posts: 3126 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Many thanks to you both!

As cool as this one has been, I’ve recently agreed to sell it to a friend. That said, there’s something else on its way - more to come on that soon!