SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Fully Ported Fun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fully Ported Fun Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Just had a barrel fully ported by Customized Creationz. Here it is in my P229R. Can't wait to try it out.

P229R Fully Ported - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16250 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Do us a favor and shoot it a few times in the dark or very low light and be sure to take pics of it. I bet that would be great.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^That might be tricky, as the local indoor pistol range I used to go has closed permanently. However, I do have videos of my friend shooting that 229 with a different ported barrel, however only 2 ports as opposed to 8.

Here it is the pistol unported:

And here is ported:

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16250 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Were you able to use the same recoil spring?

I bought a $800 box of race gun parts for one of the uppers in 38 Super. Ported barrel had me go to a 6 1/2 pound progressive spring.

Turns out there was enough parts left over to make a complete 2011.

Let us know how it shoots.

Posts: 9103 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The OEM spring is in there, but I haven't test-shot it yet. Hope it still works.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
At least in my case, the ports in the barrel released the gas pressure before it could properly cycle the slide.

It wasn't going back far enough. Bought a variety pack of springs and started with the strongest one, then the next strongest, etc...

Stick with the strongest spring you have that properly functions to avoid the slide from hitting the locking insert/frame.

If it does, you may hear a pinging sound. If the spring is too weak, it may ultimately cause damage to some internal pieces.

I don't know if in your case the lower pressures would compensate for the reduced slide mass and the inertia difference.

At least in my case, I wouldn't have been out much, but the parts (STI frame and Caspian slide) were something I didn't want to have to replace.

I may be overthinking this. Idunno. Let us know how it shoots.

Posts: 9103 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the video. Wasn't as much difference as I thought it would be.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Thanks for the video. Wasn't as much difference as I thought it would be.

I agree, you can only see the difference on a freeze-frame. However, as I said, those were 2 ports vs. 8 ports.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."