SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    1959 Colt 357
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1959 Colt 357 Login/Join 
Picture of got2hav1
posted
Some photos of my 1959 Colt 357. Predecessor to the Python. Not as polished, not as handsome, but the action is almost as smooth. I have had a small collection of Colt DA revolvers and still have 8 of them including a Python. If you can find one of these I highly recommend it.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun. I had one not quite that nice a few years ago that greatly regret selling.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I only have one Colt revolver, a later nickeled Detective Special. It is a cool gun, but yours is cooler.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I used to have two Nickel DS s but sold them to a friend. Only have one Nickel revolver left now. A S&W 586. It's a tack driver and no plans to give it up. Cool

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful handgun.

Imagine having that in 1959!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I wonder what it cost in '59. Guessing around 40-50 bucks. LOL. I was 3 years old so I probably wouldn't have been a buyer.

Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I had a 6" version. It was a very nice pistol. Not as sexy as a Python but it shot very well.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
I had a 6" version. It was a very nice pistol. Not as sexy as a Python but it shot very well.

I believe the 6" barrel was more rare than the 4" and I want to say there were only 5K produced total in all lengths.

Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
My grandfather was a motorcycle cop in Rhode Island in the 60’s and he carried a 4” Colt just like that. My mom has a bunch of photos of him in uniform, some were of him shooting. When I was a kid, I thought they were so cool.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Most may find this odd, but I'd rather have that than a Python.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Para, don't think I have read anywhere.. do you have a favorite revolver?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

posted Hide Post
lovely pistol

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congrats, that looks great!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Nothing particular comes to mind.

Crap, sorry, I intended to quote your post and ended up editing it. Apologies.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
quote:
Nothing particular comes to mind.

Crap, sorry, I intended to quote your post and ended up editing it. Apologies.

No worries.

posted Hide Post
That is nice! There is something about finely blued steel and wood…

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
My grandfather bought one to use as a duty gun in 1963. He paid $35 for it at the pawn shop. I still have the pistol and receipt. His off duty gun was a Detective Special with the thin barrel. My two most cherished firearm s.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’ve always liked them, but the ones I’ve come across have been well used. My old King Cobra fills my need for now.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 6 inch, they were the model the Python was made from. I also have 2 6 inch officer model matches in 22 and 38. They make a very nice trio and they all shoot great. I bought the 357 from a Judge in upstate N.Y. who also owned a gun shop. I think I paid 400 for it which 30 years ago was a bunch of money for that gun but I've never regrated it.

Posts: 23 | Location: st louis | Registered: April 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful piece. Definitely a keeper.

mi45acp

Posts: 72 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post