SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    magnum primers in standard loads?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

magnum primers in standard loads? Login/Join 
posted
I have Winchester SPM primers. Can I use these in place of Winchester SP primers? What do you think. Any worries about increased pressures or anything

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
As long as you're not using maximum loads, you'll be fine.

A lot of people I know have been doing this in the last couple of years with no problems whatsoever.

Here's a good video explaining the whole thing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
My experience is the same. I use them in place of standard small pistol primers with no ill effects. I do not load any of my shells close to the max pressure, though.

Indeed, the thought just entered my head that you might get better (more uniform) ignition and powder burn in very light loads if you use magnum primers.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise, guys. I'll give it a try.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The answer is… who knows and, you and I certainly have no idea what’s really happening.

The owner of a well known “boutique” ammo company told us years ago that pressure can go up, stay the same and he’s even seen it go down with magnum primers. So who knows.

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
The answer is… who knows and, you and I certainly have no idea what’s really happening.

The owner of a well known “boutique” ammo company told us years ago that pressure can go up, stay the same and he’s even seen it go down with magnum primers. So who knows.

You didn't watch the Video did you? They measured pressure in the testing.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw NO difference among six different small primers in 9mm with HP38. Well, the Remington small pistol was a little faster than other brands whether pistol, magnum, or rifle.

Large primers in .45 with Bullseye did make a difference, so when my bullet order comes in and I start loading .45 Small with small pistol magnum, I will chronograph a series.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

He tested one thing. And I mentioned a man who's company tests a whole array of loads across many many different calibers.

????

You didn't watch the Video did you? They measured pressure in the testing.

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jaysingletary
posted Hide Post
I used them in my light plinking loads for years with no problems. I’ve also chosen to forgo state mandated psychiatric treatment in favor of self administered electronic shock therapy.

Posts: 74 | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The conventional wisdom was that magnum primers could increase pressure. I don't know.

If you are at or close to maximum loads, any change in components should probably cause you to drop back on your powder charge a little and work your way up to what gives you what you want.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As long as you're not using maximum loads, you'll be fine.
Yep, but your accuracy my differ somewhat. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I’ve been wondering about this also. A friend has been acquiring reloading components and primers have been the hangup. I recently was given 1000 CCI SMP’s together with a set of 30-06 dies that I passed along to him.

The primers are probably circa 1980-90 era, box looks dry, hopeful that they are still good.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8064 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I’ve been wondering about this also. A friend has been acquiring reloading components and primers have been the hangup. I recently was given 1000 CCI SMP’s together with a set of 30-06 dies that I passed along to him.

The primers are probably circa 1980-90 era, box looks dry, hopeful that they are still good.

Unless they've been wet, they will be. I've still got some that are from the early 1970s that are good.

Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I used magnum primers all the time for lower standard deviations and more accurate loads. It usually takes 0.2 grains less for the same speeds.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post