Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Scale Login/Join 
Picture of PHC
posted
I’m in the market for a new digital scale, my old Cabela’s scale has finally died after many years of service. I would like to keep the price under $150.00. Or should I just continue to use my backup an old Lyman beam scale and save my money. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Retired PHC USN

Posts: 33 | Registered: December 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I see nobody's stepping up with a recommendation and I can't either because my digital scale is around 25 years old at this point and still going strong. It's the RCBS Partner.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a real good luck with my Dillon Precision digital scale and it is right at your price point.

Posts: 140 | Registered: April 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Dillon Determinator it works well. A buddy has had good luck with the Hornady 1500

DC

These posts are for fun, not work.

name at gmail for comms

Posts: 172 | Location: TN | Registered: January 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I use a J Scale electronic scale that I received when I bout my Dillon 550 10 years ago. It’s a cheap $25 scale and it’s still my check weights to tolerance.

JScale on Amazon

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
I have a dillon and it has been perfect

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of research on scales for measuring powder back when I first thought of getting into reloading. (I haven't yet, 'cuz the man cave isn't done.) I found the vast majority of them were no more or less reliable than any of the others.

So I bought one of these: Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Precision Scale with LCD Display, Auto Shut-Off, Case for Accurate Measurements, Reloading

Then I went out and bought a couple Troemner precision calibration weights, one of which is traceable. (This is the kind of calibration weight you keep in a sealed box and don't handle with your bare hands.) Both of them measured to be what they were represented to be, w/in their stated margins of error.

Then I set the scale atop the dresser in the guest bedroom and tested it over the next several days. I'd calibrate it in the morning, then go occasionally check it several times over the day and evening. Save one day, where, at some point, it was off by 0.3 gr, it never varied by more than one-tenth grain.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Frankford Arsenal scale user here. The zero does drift in a sinusoidal fashion but it's only +/- 0.2 grains maximum and I'm loading shotshells where this amount of drift is meaningless. I've also run capability studies on all the powders I use so I only use this scale for checks prior to loading shells.

Hey, it's cheap and it works for non critical loading. If I want to load some precision rifle loads I'll use my RCBS beam scale and trickle up each load to a knat's whisker.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post