New
Find
Notify
Tools

303 British Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Well I gave in and bought some new 303 brass.
Just got done prepping 50 pieces and loading them up with some 150 grain fmj using some varget.

I’m gonna wait until next week when it’s thawed out before I go shoot them.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I bought a lever Savage 99 the other week, in 300 Sav. I don’t plan on shooting it much but I’d rather set up to reload than buy the scarce, high priced ammo.

I bought 100 new cases from Midsouth, out of stock now, then slightly used Lyman dies from eBay, I have the rest. I loaded up some light 110 grain ‘30 carbine’ bullets with IMR-4198 powder.

I’m ready for testing now, plinking category with the rounds.

I have loaded the 303 British round, it’s been awhile. Even with that, casual shooting at modest ranges, mild rounds are enough for me.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Whatcha shooting them out of? My son has an SMLE and we've been loading my 187gr cast gas checked bullets over a light Unique charge...got the idea from 357fuzz here on the forum. It's easy on the old rifle and quite accurate...makes for a fun day at the range shooting steel.

I've also duplicated that same load for my Krag, in .30-40 Krag brass of course.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I bought a #4 rifle (WWII SMLE version) from a member here, I’m sorry I don’t recall the members name but it’s a great rifle. Savage made marked US Property…it’s got a 2 groove barrel.

I’m also using 180 grain cast bullets that are powder coated over 10 grains of unique for up close playing.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I keep telling myself I don't need a No. 4...and then I keep eyeballing them and thinking I do. My safe is full, I don't really have anywhere to put it, it doesn't really fit into the rest of my milsurp collection, I hate the rim on the .303...all the excuses. But having a C&R just makes it so easy. No transfer to deal with, and Enfields are just so smooth, plus it's got aperture sights!

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Had a friend years ago that owned an Enfield Jungle Carbine in .303 British.

Beat the snot out of you with recoil with its steel buttplate.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I bought a #4 rifle (WWII SMLE version) from a member here, I’m sorry I don’t recall the members name but it’s a great rifle. Savage made marked US Property…it’s got a 2 groove barrel.

I’m also using 180 grain cast bullets that are powder coated over 10 grains of unique for up close playing.

Try IMR4227 w/ cast bullets. Can easily shoot accurately out to 300 yards w/ the recoil of a .223. Doesn’t beat you or the ole’ girl up either. Unique is a good cast bullet pushed to about 200 yards. Also, it’s a good accurate powder for the .303 British.

Posts: 4019 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
How does your brass last? I have four SMLEs, but I also have a few cases of WWII surplus, so I’ve never loaded it. I’ve read that the SMLE really stretches brass when loaded to full power due to the rear locking lugs. I’d like to load for it simply because I love to load.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
How does your brass last? I have four SMLEs, but I also have a few cases of WWII surplus, so I’ve never loaded it. I’ve read that the SMLE really stretches brass when loaded to full power due to the rear locking lugs. I’d like to load for it simply because I love to load.

Full power loads do stretch out the Brit brass and full length resizing them works the brass hard so it doesn’t last over a hand full of reloads. Light powder charges in cast loads w/ neck sizing only (make sure that brass stays w/ that certain rifle) it lasts a long time.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Savage 2 groove barrels do very well using a Lyman 314299 cast bullet. Or the NOE equivalent of the Lyman bullet.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

My old brass has at least five loading on them since I got it…there’s no telling how many loads before that.

I anneal after each shooting, and I only bump the shoulder 2 thousands …so after the initial stretch, there’s only the shoulder moving .002

I was just wanting some brass I can keep up with and have some faith in…if a piece begins to separate now-I know to toss the whole lot

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My old brass has at least five loading on them since I got it…there’s no telling how many loads before that.

I anneal after each shooting, and I only bump the shoulder 2 thousands …so after the initial stretch, there’s only the shoulder moving .002

I was just wanting some brass I can keep up with and have some faith in…if a piece begins to separate now-I know to toss the whole lot

That should work very well.