SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    .500sw magnum reloading starter kit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500sw magnum reloading starter kit Login/Join 
Picture of Edselbutler
posted
Greetings- I've been shooting and stockpiling ammo for my handguns for years. Never had an interest in reloading till I added a .500 S&W magnum revolver to my collection. I would like to start reloading cartridges for this revolver. I've been researching on the subject and would like to ask fellow forum members for advice on equipment and supplies to begin reloading this round. I don't think I will reload other calibers, but can't rule that out.-Thanks

Posts: 204 | Registered: June 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I ordered a S&W 460, similar loading.
I don't plan on buying any factory ammo for what it costs.
I ordered dies, H110,Alliant 2400,325gr and 240grain bullets,50 brass cases and magnum large pistol primers.
Initial outlay for the supplies will eventually be repaid by savings from factory loads.
I can't get ammo delivered to me because I live in Chicago and Crook county, the gun store wanted $60 for a 20 round box of ammo.
I bought a used Dan Wesson 44 magnum too, while I'm loading for big bores might just as well load for another using similar components.
The 460 lets me shoot 460S&W,45colt,45 Schofield and 454 Casul.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Ignore any suggestions to get an expensive (blue) progressive. You don’t need it for that cartridge. Any O-frame single stage, like a Rock Chucker or similar, will do just fine. Look at one of those starter kits that includes a beam scale. If you don’t mind spending a little more, a quality turret like a Redding T-7 is nice.

If I were starting over again and price wasn’t a concern, I’d also give a Forster Co-Ax a look. You can sometimes get a good deal on them used, sometimes old Bonanza presses.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
A kit like this Rock Chucker from RCBS will give you pretty much everything to get started except dies and shell holder...

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-93...=reloading+press+kit

I've never been disappointed in any RCBS reloading equipment...plus their warrantee is top notch if you have issues.

EDIT...I'm another that prefers a manual beam scale.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You are not shooting a ton of 500 so reloading on a single stage press or Lee Classic Turret makes an affordable setup. The really high cost of magnums is reason alone to start reloading for them. Throw in being able to download to any level is a bonus & will allow you to shoot your hand cannon more.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Edselbutler
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.Thank you all for the excellent information. I look forward to getting started.

Posts: 204 | Registered: June 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
You are not shooting a ton of 500 so reloading on a single stage press or Lee Classic Turret makes an affordable setup. The really high cost of magnums is reason alone to start reloading for them. Throw in being able to download to any level is a bonus & will allow you to shoot your hand cannon more.

True words.

There's just some cartridges where you get huge savings. The magnums, as stated. Particularly the large revolver cartridges. Also, any somewhat obscure cartridge. My 416 Rigby can save me from $3 to $8 per round, depending on the bullet I choose. There's also some others where the savings are an easy argument for hand loading. I believe a five-seven is a great candidate for savings, as are 410 shotgun shells.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post