SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    308 headspace vs 7.62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 headspace vs 7.62 Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I know this is an old-type question but I haven't seen it come up here and I think this place is a deep well of wisdom and experience:

How much different is/should be the headspace for a 7.62 bolt gun (50's Israeli Mauser) vs a fresh 308 700 Remington?
They will each have their own brass and will not share.
Second question:
How long of a headspace is acceptable/safe on that old Mauser?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
IIRC, in theory,
none,

however

the 7.62 gauges and the commercial .308 gauges measure from a slightly different datum point, I think,,

I have USGI 7.62 gages and a commercial set,
the numbers (headpace lenght) is different on each, (as in both go gages have different lengths or measurement etched in them,)

I've dropped both in a M1A and the gun passed with each, (and showed roughly the same 'measurement' as in how much the bolt had left to close etc)

eta the mauser will have a more 'generous' throat and likely chamber as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
"eta the mauser will have a more 'generous' throat and likely chamber as well"

Can we define "more generous" for someone that isn't sure how many thousandths that might be between "okay" and "no way"?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PHC
posted Hide Post
My advice is to purchase a good case gauge, I use gauges made by Dillon, if the shell passes, use it if not put it in the scrap bucket. Easy peasy, no sense trying to make a big deal out of it.

Retired PHC USN

Posts: 33 | Registered: December 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS precision mic for 308. No "pass" or "fail", just very precise measurements.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
"eta the mauser will have a more 'generous' throat and likely chamber as well"

Can we define "more generous" for someone that isn't sure how many thousandths that might be between "okay" and "no way"?

Bruce

aenerous as in not a match chamber, ,
chamber diameter is not measured by head space,
neither is the throat,

remember, the rifles were made to work in all conditions, so they will not have a tight match type chamber,

as PHC mentioned, get a case gauge, dillon or wilson are fine, I have both,

and if you are worried about the throat, there are ways to measure that as well,

I use a bench rest die for 223 that I used for my service rifle ammo, very precise measurements for OAL, which you may or may not need for the MAuser

remember , headspace is the distance from the bolt head to the datum point on the shoulder for .308/7.62

re the Rem, it will likely have a more precise chamber, and likely a shorter throat, (meaning OAL will likely be slightly different depending on the bullet selected to reload

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:

BTW, to answer this question,

the mauser should pass the Field gage,

Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Hey all-

I know this is an old-type question but I haven't seen it come up here and I think this place is a deep well of wisdom and experience:

How much different is/should be the headspace for a 7.62 bolt gun (50's Israeli Mauser) vs a fresh 308 700 Remington?
They will each have their own brass and will not share.
Second question:

Bruce

My FN made Israeli Mauser had what seemed a 'tight' 7.62 chamber... Cases were not stretched or had any weird bulges. My Argentine FN49 had what I consider a generous chamber, but headspace was fine. Now my Isapore 2A in 7.62... Very swollen cases, esp toward one side and stretched. Sure was not made for reloading.

As for what denotes 'generous', this photo says it all. Same ammo but L. fired in a 7.62 chamber, R. in a .308 rifle. Thank goodness about all 7.62 brass you will run into is extra thick in the web, and weighs a lot more. Heaviest brass I ever weighed was Brazilian CBC 7.62... It was many, many grains heavier than .308, and a lot more than a most 7.62 brass.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My Mauser seems to have a normal chamber. It would not even come close to closing the bolt on a 7.62 max gauge.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli