SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Blue Dot Safety Notice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot Safety Notice Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted
https://www.alliantpowder.com/...20in%20this%20matter

Safety Notice

At Alliant Powder, we take safety seriously. That’s why we periodically test our products in different situations to be sure our use recommendations stay current. Check here for any safety notes or recall information. Stay safe and keep accurate.

Alliant Powder periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that our recommended recipes have not changed over time.

During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:

Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).

Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
That's from around 15 years ago but still extremely relevant.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have a bottle of this I've occasionally used for showy .357SIG loads. I'm thinking that I won't be doing this anymore.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Joke is on them.. I haven't seen ANY Alliant powder around me going on three years now.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I question the reason. LOTS of folks still using BD with no ill effects

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8752 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I agree that Alliant powders have been pretty much non existent in the shops I frequent.
I would like to find some Red Dot and Unique.

That said, the .357 Magnum Blue Dot loads have been reported as forcing cone killers for quite some time with hot 125 grain loads. I shoot exclusively medium power 135-148 grain .357 loadings and never use Blue Dot powder. I have no direct experience with the powder but its reputation in that regard was enough to keep me using other powders.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post