SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    My new (and first) press is here!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new (and first) press is here! Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
Well after planning, researching, saving, then spending the money on other things... I finally broke down and bought an XL750. I don’t even know where to begin with the questions. Thankfully I have an awesome contact lined up that is going to come over and educate me. I can’t wait!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6983 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Go big or go home, huh? Big Grin.

That's a nice press...you are going to love it (if you can find components to feed it!).

Posts: 8343 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m definitely in the “buy once, cry once” camp. As far as components go, I have enough crank out a bit over 1000rds. It’ll get me started.

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Go big or go home, huh? Big Grin.

That's a nice press...you are going to love it (if you can find components to feed it!).

Posts: 6983 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Starting with the best will never be regretted.
Dillon has a lot of help they can give with just a phone call.
They are great to deal with.
With that press 1000 rounds is just a little over an hours work.
Have fun and invest in a UFO light. You'll love it.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1109 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
Dillion makes great stuff, I own some. QS is 2nd to none.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments guys...Rexles, I actually have the UFO lights installed already! You are right, it makes a ton of light. Honestly I think the only pieces left that I need are a Mr. Bulletfeeder and the powder cop that DAA makes. That may have to wait a bit though considering how much $$ I’ve spent this week. I raised $600 pretty easily by auctioning two stripped Sons of Liberty Gun Works AR lowers. Yes, they sold for $300 a PIECE. Crazy.

Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
I keep hearing good things about the 750. Congrats!

It takes a lot to feed those Dillon Progressives. You will soon come to realize that you never have enough powder, primers, pills or brass.

Let us know how you like it after you've had a chance to put it through its paces for a few thousand rounds. You planning on running rifle and pistol through it or just pistol?

BTW, I like that InlineFabrication ultra 11" stand you've got that mounted-to ... I run Dan's stuff under all of mine these days and it changed my life in my reloading room.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^ thank you sir. As of now I just have 9mm and .45 dies. The goal is for 5.56 and maybe .300Blk eventually. You’re right, Inline Fab’s stuff is sweet. I have another order in with him now!

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Dillon makes great presses! Kind of wanted a 750, but the 650 has served us well. You will enjoy it, and it’s not hard to use. Know you will enjoy it.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I am sure Dillon probably has a video you can watch. There are probably lots of things on Youtube that will also help.

I am sure you will like it.

Posts: 5605 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned my 650 press with case feeder now for a number of years. I have no idea how many
10s of Ks of rounds I have reloaded....a bunch!! I can not imagine being without one. Enjoy!!

Posts: 6596 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Well, since y’all revived this thread… the reloading has become quite the thorn in my side. Don’t get me wrong, I’m in love with the press and am eager to get going, but the fella that assisted me on the phone for months while I bought gear and needed advice has *disappeared*. He was supposed to come over and I was going to pay him for his time, he was going to tutor me on setting up the dies and how it all works. Now I’ve got nothing but YouTube. Frankly, I’m afraid to learn that way. I’m a visual learner and really want someone to show me the ropes in person. I’ve called all the local gun shops asking for referrals and have gotten nowhere. I have the name of one fella to track down but he’s my only lead.

I don’t guess there is anybody in the DFW area that would like some extra $$ in exchange for their knowledge is there??

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Dillon, but if I was down there I'd happily come by and help you out, but it's a bit of a drive from Indiana. The best advice I can give is don't get overwhelmed...take it slow and get it set up one step at a time. As you get hands on with the press, you'll start to get a good idea of what it's doing. I'd recommend starting with either the 9mm or .45acp dies that you said you have...straight-wall pistol is easier than rifle.

Reloading is not particularly dangerous, provided you watch your charge weights and don't massively overseat your bullets. Use published data, and start on the light side. Double and triple check everything. I'll admit, I was nervous at first, too, so my first rounds were .38 specials and I shot them out of a revolver chambered for magnums...with my left hand, and eyes closed Big Grin. Nothing blew up, and I went further down the rabbit hole from there. I now load for about 15 different calibers on 3 different press setups, cast my own bullets, and own guns that have never seen factory ammo.

Posts: 8343 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for that, I need to just sit down with it and focus. It’s just frustrating cause I had a real pro lined up to assist.

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You are going to damage a few cases,take your time and adjust each stage,adjust and lock down it before going to next stage .Caliper each case till its in speck.Move to the bell,adjust that and lock down.powder is next,do not worry about powder,worry about seating bullet to correct dept.[powder comes last]once that is correct move
on to next,on to the next.
You may wrinkle a few cases,it no big deal.You lock it all down as you go .I own two 550 and have set up two friends [three presses]over the years.
they all were terrified of messing up ,Dillon is a heard press to break , Its not a piece of furniture ,you adjust to spec ,you want hurt it.
Powder die ,piece of cake,right =more left-less,
magic marker ,write on press,I did ,I get confused Wink
Oh and congrats on your new expensive all the bells a whistles press I could not afford forty years ago.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t be too terribly afraid to try and load a few test rounds if I could get the dies set up correctly. I’m going to be using the Mr. Bullet feeder and Double Alpha’s powder cop setup. Confused