Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WINCHESTER 296 Login/Join 
Picture of PHC
posted
Just purchased 5 1 pound canisters of WINCHESTER 296 from Hodgdon web site. Showing they still have some.

Retired PHC USN

Posts: 33 | Registered: December 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have at least a pound of it, used mostly for 45 Colt ‘Ruger only’ loads.

What are your plans with it?

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I don't know about PHC, but I have a lot of 296 in inventory and I use it for .410 bore ammo.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PHC
posted Hide Post
Use it for 300 blackout

Retired PHC USN

Posts: 33 | Registered: December 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I was given a few lbs of IMR-4227 powder, older but in very usable condition. I’ve been trying to use it up some, 30 Carbine, a few lower end 223 loads, and some 7.62x39.

I do load for the 357, 41, 44, & Ruger 45 Colt, though often just mid loads. I’m sure I’ll have some left when I get back to the magnums.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I guess my question would be, is Win-296 with 20 years between bottles the same powder? Then one gets to degrees of difference?

Most of my loadings are not near the ragged edge of pressure. That way slight variances are more forgiving, also easier on the brass & gun.

One would need testing with strict load protocols in place to test reliably. I remember an article that showed marked FPS variations just based on powder position in the case. This test was with a 38 SPCL case, faster powder, so plenty of room to move around. The test showed a good bit higher FPS with powder against the primer, compared to the base of the bullet. It was enough that the casual tester would think they were different charge weights of powder.

Yes I know, usually not much free space with Win-296 powder, but one gets the idea.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

One would need testing with strict load protocols in place to test reliably. I remember an article that showed marked FPS variations just based on powder position in the case. This test was with a 38 SPCL case, faster powder, so plenty of room to move around. The test showed a good bit higher FPS with powder against the primer, compared to the base of the bullet. It was enough that the casual tester would think they were different charge weights of powder.

Yes I know, usually not much free space with Win-296 powder, but one gets the idea.

Here's a good article on position sensitivity with powders:

http://blog.westernpowders.com...sition-and-pressure/

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post