SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Who do you like for bullet molds ... ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do you like for bullet molds ... ? Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted
I have a bullet mold for casting my own lead bullets that require sizing. Primarily 38/357.

What is the best precision bullet mold to buy ?

Would like a variety of have on hand since I have an ample supply of lead from hard to soft.

Even interested for black powder rifle and pistol.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I only started casting about a year ago, so my experience is limited, and advice worth what you paid for it. I've used Lee and RCBS molds. I actually prefer the Lee molds in practice...they're aluminum and heat up faster and are easy to keep at temperature. The RCBS mold took forever to cast good bullets, and imo was just harder to work with. Being steel, it is definitely a higher quality tool, and all else being equal will likely outlast the Lee. But I could buy 2 or 3 of the Lee molds for the price of one RCBS. Both drop perfectly good bullets.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have several Lee molds and a Lyman mold for 525 pellet for 12. I like the ease and lightweight of the Lee brand, and I haven’t worn one out or ruined it by use.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Lee Molds.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I started with lees but gradually replaced with lyman steel ones.
Steel ones work well when using a solid hot plate.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I started with lees but gradually replaced with lyman steel ones.
Steel ones work well when using a solid hot plate.

I have not cast for decades, and the mold I have is steel ... that I kept warm on a hot plate too.

What system do you all like for sizing ? Due to moving a couple times I can not find my sizer so will need to buy a new one.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Lyman or RCBS.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kept Bum
posted Hide Post
I'40 I've used lyman for 40+ years with no problem.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth.".....Chief Joseph

https://pbase.com/shellyva/image/171613535

Posts: 88 | Location: Out there, somewhere | Registered: May 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

What system do you all like for sizing ? Due to moving a couple times I can not find my sizer so will need to buy a new one.

I don’t resize. I cast with range scraps that are almost pure lead and very soft. I powder coat and send them down range in 38,357,45acp at standard velocity and have no leading.

Yes it’s more work, more steps etc. doesn’t matter, it beats cleaning lead out several guns.

When I was casting for 45/70 I used harder cast bullets and SPG for lube. But I foolishly sold that rifle.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Accurate custom molds

I own the 36-127-Q and 36-140-O. One is a 127gr. Tumble lube flat point used for my .38 Specials. This bullet usually weights 128gr. with. 92-6-2 alloy after sizing .358 and lubing with liquid alox. Accurate with both Unique and W244 powder, this is my favorite cast bullet for the .38 Special.

The 36-140-O is a gas checked conventional lubed flat point. Actual weight is around 139gr. Lubed and sporting a gas check using 92-6-2 alloy. Sized at .358 it Seems to shoot well in my Marlin and .357 GP-100 with moderate load of W572 and no leading. Lyman orange magic has been an excellent lube to pair with this bullet.

Both of the above molds I designed by making minor changes to existing molds in the catalogue. The proprietor Tom accepted the changes and made me wonderful 3 cavity iron molds for each.

I will hopefully have a few more custom molds from Accurate in the next year.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I have some Lee 2 cavity, Lyman, & NOE molds. The molds are steel, aluminum, & Brass. My favorite molds are the NOE aluminum. The brass molds are very nice, but they’re heavy, and it makes a difference towards the end of a 20# pot. The Lyman steel molds work great, but only have 2 cavities, which takes a considerable amount more time to cast a pot over a 5 cavity mold. The Lee 2 cavity molds are half the size of the Noe 2 cavity molds I have, & have a harder time regulating temperature.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Thanks ! Looking at Accurate molds now.

posted Hide Post
NOE makes very good molds but availability is spotty. Accurate or Arsenal will make you a mold to your custom size and ship in 2-3 weeks. Quality and tolerances are very good. Lee is a joke

Posts: 224 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: April 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post