SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    PCC 9mm load advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PCC 9mm load advice Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I would like to develop some loads for my 16" barreled, 9mm carbine.
I prefer 147gr bullets. I have jacketed, plated, and coated bullets.
My in stock powder choices are, HS-6,
H110, Unique, Red Dot, Titegroup, WSF,231,
I would like to get all I can from the 16" barrel.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The one I would rule out, is the h-110 powder, most of the others could be somewhat workable. I wouldn’t load to many until you test for proper cycling.

Depending on the intended use, seems more load options available at the 124 or so grain level. One could always use a firmer bullet if max performance is desired.

Some manuals have a dedicated 9mm +p section, at least the free Sierra app doesn’t show +p data above 124 grain bullet weights.

I’ve always had better cycling with mid or faster powders in the 9mm, though never tried HS-6, which has data listed. I would cross reference a few manuals & try some loads. It’s always handy if able to chronograph results.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Of the powders listed, I would use the HS-6 or Titegroup. Rule out the H-110.
You'll only get about 200 fps more from a longer barrel in 9mm. 8"-10" seems to be the optimum length for a 9mm PCC to burn all it's powder & gain max velocity. The 16" won't give you anything more than an 8" will.
Nothing wrong with a 16" 9mm. Lots of gamers use them but the added length doesn't give you anything extra.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
8"-10" seems to be the optimum length for a 9mm PCC to burn all it's powder & gain max velocity. The 16" won't give you anything more than an 8" will.
Nothing wrong with a 16" 9mm. Lots of gamers use them but the added length doesn't give you anything extra

This has been my experience as well. 8-10" is definitely the sweet spot. You can only cram so much powder into a tiny 9mm case and still be safe.

My load of choice is a 135gr powder coated bullet over HS-6. I see about 200fps gain over a 5" handgun barrel when shooting them out of my carbine. Titegroup is a decent powder choice for handgun loads, but it burns very fast so you won't see as much gain out of the longer barrels.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
So one issue I ran into with 147gr coated was ogive. My 147gr RN blue bullet pistol load worked great, until the last round needed to be ejected… the bullet was sticking into the rifling of the barrel, so I had to get my score, drop the mag, then crack the last round off into the berm to be cleared off the range. I have used 231 in the past for them, but don’t have my data nearby. Just be sure your OAL works with your rifle chamber.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I reload 9mm with a 147 Berry RN or FP bullet with 4.1 WSF and get about 950 to 960 in a Glock Model 34. I used WSF for 124 bullets at a different grain also. Del

Posts: 18 | Registered: January 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
WSF or HS-6 is what I would use for the heavier bullet and longer barrel. I love Titegroup in 115 and 124 in short barrels though.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Titegroup 3.3 grains under a blue bullets 147 gn flat point bullet. Mixed brass. Whatever primer is available. Lee factory crimp, just enough to remove the bell and pass a shockbottle 100-round gauge. 1.125 cartridge overall length.

It will run fine with 3.2 or less (experiment), but Titegroup is reverse-temperature sensitive and in my opinion it's best to stay a little above minimum numbers to ensure that velocity never dips below min power factor. The 3.2 or 3.3 should yield in short barrels at least 135 power factor, and better from the longer barrel, of course. It cycles reliably, relatively soft shooting, and thus far, accurate.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I loaded my 9mm "soft" when I shot IDPA matches, This is not what I want now. I want the opposite.
I tried TiteGroup back then and didn't like it. I had several hang fires when loading the cases to minimum powder charges. I found WSF and 231 to work better.
I think the HS-6 will work for my MAX. load development.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I loaded my 9mm "soft" when I shot IDPA matches, This is not what I want now. I want the opposite.
I tried TiteGroup back then and didn't like it. I had several hang fires when loading the cases to minimum powder charges. I found WSF and 231 to work better.
I think the HS-6 will work for my MAX. load development.

Titegroup is a fine choice if you're not going too low on your charge weights...I've used it with good success in the past, but I think you'll be happy with HS6 in the 9mm. It meters very well in my LNL, fills the case past the point of allowing a double-charge, doesn't leave the sooty residue on the cases that Titegroup does, and is very consistent out of the little 9mm cases, at least with mid-to-heavy weight bullets. It also has the added bonus of adding a little extra oomph out of the longer carbine barrels.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
It's taken a couple years, but I have settled on this for 9mm using 147gn RN bullets (in both my carbine and pistols):
CFE Pistol powder @ 3.7gn, and a COL of 1.11" (to run in my tight-tolerance M&P 9 Pro). This one load works in all my guns.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post