SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    257 ... 308 ... 3006 brass cleaning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 ... 308 ... 3006 brass cleaning Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted
Please be patient with this "old dino -saur" learning the new ways of cleaning brass.

For decades, I have used walnut or corncob media with a shot-glsss of Brasso.

Recently I been reading about little stainless steel rod thangs to clean the brass.

Trying to understand, please educate this old dino.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried a few things, back to corncob. I change it out once in a while, try whatever polish is on sale.

I didn’t like crushed walnut, I think that’s what I was given. It seems to get everywhere.

For me it’s mostly to clean. Even shiny cases get a little tarnished after time.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Good point. Decades ago I used the corncob but got a good buy recently on the walnut at Harbor Freight (figure they can't screw that up).

Working well for me too with a little added metal polish to the mix.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Google brass cleaning with stainless steel media. If you want really clean brass, it’s the way to go. Once you get past the initial investment, it’s very cheap to use. You just need a shot of low suds dishwashing detergent and a straining system to separate brass from media. It’s a lot faster than corncob/walnut media.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have not tried stainless, or even price it. I’ll have to check it out. I have a fair amount of cob to work through. .

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I just googled ... interesting read. Like sourdough I have a bunch of walnut to work through.

Not sure I will be reloading enough to justify the added cost of a new tumbler and pins.