SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Reloading with Frangible Bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading with Frangible Bullets Login/Join 
and this little pig said:
posted
I'm toying with reloading 9mm with frangible bullets. Now, my understanding is that frangible bullets will disintegrate if they hit anything harder than themselves.

With the reloading process in mind, do you think it's possible to reload frangible bullets on a Dillon 550(B)? Would the bullet alter its shape at all due to the seating/crimping stresses? Maybe somebody here has already tried and has some answers. Then again, maybe not!

I'm interested in what the 'brains" here think!

Thanks!!
-odin

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a step down in bullet weight. If you normally shoot 115gr - you'll move down to a 90gr frange. 135gr moves down to 100gr. And you'll need to change your powder drop to represent the new bullet weight.

Only thing I found is Station 2 on a Dillion needs a bit more belling of the case mouth. It is a simple adjustment.

And the crimp station needs to be backed off slightly - less crimp.

Enjoy the higher cost of shooting frangible.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
^ spot on.
Be prepared for your gun breaking some heads when it cycles.
This is tinker toys , not dependable ammo

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
Enjoy the higher cost of shooting frangible

LOL! Thanks for the replies. Looks like there's definitely some adjustments that need to be made. Especially to my wallet for the more expensive bullets, should I choose to go that way!
Thanks for the replies!
-odin

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are certainly more expensive but are much more forgiving when shooting steel close-up or running through a shoot house. They also many times can be fired at a lead free range.

My only experience has been with the Sinterfire bullets.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post