SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Rifle Bullet sources
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Bullet sources Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
It's time to head to the re-loading room and crank out some rifle bullets for the spring range sessions.

What bullet sources do you suggest for sales of precision rifle bullets (Bullets only, not loaded ammo) for 5.56/223, 308 (30cal), 6.5, bullets.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If casual range shooting, I’d just buy what’s discounted. That could be bulk FMJ bullets of a common weight for the cartridge in mind.

As an example, not long ago I could find .224 bullets for $10.88 or so per 100 at Midway. Would a higher quality Sierra bullet be better, at double the price, likely yes.

Again I’m talking casual range shooting. I’ve also loaded a lot for prairie dogging, often loading for 3 other shooters, youth. With that, cheap is still fine, the doggies didn’t mind.

If wanting higher accuracy any particular gun likely has preferences. Along with that one could try some of the ‘match’ bullet offerings.

I usually don’t try to reinvent the wheel, stick with common weight bullets for a particular round.

Even when it comes to hunting, an adequate bullet, with proper placement, easily gets it done. Nothing wrong with a top end Barnes bullet loaded in the 308 for a 75 yard shot at a 140 lb deer, but not necessary.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Weight ranges? I can list off what I use.

.224 - 69gr RMR HPBT - 5/6 of the quality of a SMK but half of the cost. I have some 77gr I want to test as well.

308 - Berger 200.20X. I also have some 175 SMK that shot reasonably well.

6.5 - berger 140gr Hybrid Target if you can find them. Barnes 145 Match Burners are my alternative.

As to where I buy, I source from all over. Brownells, Midway, RMR, local shops, Blue collar Reloading, Mile High shooting...It all depends on who has stock. I've heard Lanbos armory is a good one.

I joined the Reddit r/Reloading Discord server back when I got serious about loading for myself. They have a channel whose entire purpose is to allow the membership to allow the membership to report and be notified of in-stock components and equipment per your preferences. It's exceedingly easy and exceptionally effective.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm primarily asking about where to buy bullets.

I'm looking for precision/match grade bullets, not hunting bullets, from Hornady, Sierra, or Berger.
What retailers have good inventory and who has the best prices.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I usually start out looking at Midway, Grafs too.

I’ve bought from all kinds of places, Midway seems easy. I’m signed up for ‘birthday pricing’, a touch more off around one’s birthday.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Like I mentioned, Mile High, BCR, Midway (more like Highway if you look at some of their prices), Brownells, Natchez, Powder Valley, Midsouth Shooter's Supply, RMR, and Xtreme Bullets run pretty much the gamut of what I need/buy.

Again, I highly recommend the Discord server. I've picked up a ton of powder just because someone already got theirs and wanted to make it a little easier for someone else.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Grafs or Powder Valley are my usual go-to's for rifle bullets and brass.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
It's time to head to the re-loading room and crank out some rifle bullets for the spring range sessions.

What bullet sources do you suggest for sales of precision rifle bullets (Bullets only, not loaded ammo) for 5.56/223, 308 (30cal), 6.5, bullets.

I’ve ordered from American Reloading LLC for several years…zero shipping or HAZMAT and always remember to click on their discount codes…I’m a fan of their pulled bullets in .223 and .308 (I just placed an order for their 500 125 grain solid copper .308 for $65 shipped after discount code “35PROJO” (a list of discount codes are listed at the top of their homepage)…good source for brass and surplus powders…I’ve never been disappointed in any of my purchases from them Smile

https://americanreloading.com/4-projectiles

https://americanreloading.com/...m193-fmj-1000ct.html

https://americanreloading.com/...elure-new-500ct.html

https://americanreloading.com/...cannelure-500ct.html
$58.50 shipped after code code 35projo

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Blue Collar Reloading

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you are looking for precision projectiles I would suggest Powder Valley and their selection of Lapua bullets.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Sierra. You can buy direct and in large lots.

I use their 55 gr blitzkings for 500yd target and varmint shooting.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
BisleyBlackHawk, thanks for the links. Just received 1000 .277 130grn bullets for $111 total from American Reloading. Eleven cents apiece for a 270 bullet is quite the deal. They look like Remington Core Lokt, PSPs, or perhaps Hornady Interlock. They were advertised as pulls, but they have clearly never been loaded. Perhaps they are seconds. Regardless, they will make great practice ammo, so I an very pleased.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post