SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Problem Decapping - Flash Hole Too Small
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem Decapping - Flash Hole Too Small Login/Join 
posted
I ran into a problem I've never had today.
While resizing/decapping a batch of once fired .357 SIG brass, the decapping pin on my Hornady LNL die kept pushing back into the die. Close inspection of the brass revealed that the flash hole on this batch of brass is noticeably smaller than on brass from previous batches.

Has anyone else ran into that? If so, did you find a way to get the brass de-primed?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Contact Horbady, get a thinner decapping pin, I have had to do this with Lapua Palma brass. Redding sent me thinner pins.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
No, never had that. I guess you may have to set those aside until a thinner pin arrives.

A manual & time consuming way to do it would be take the primer out with a thinner punch, then drill the flash hole very slightly larger. After that, continue with the resize.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
BTDT Smile

Let me guess...Speer brass? That was always the worst one I dealt with for 357Sig

Like everyone else said, I replaced the pin and carried on. If I was in a good mood, after I decapped the brass, I would then give it a quick spin on a flash hole deburr tool inserted on my Lyman Case Prep Xpress.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
Yep, 357 sig Speer. Broke a couple decapping pins on that stuff.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's Speer. I bought 2,000 rounds of once fired brass online, and most of it is giving me this problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Speer does have some tight flash holes in that caliber. I never broke my Dillon decapping pin, but they do require more effort. Other than this, great brass.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with 357 Sig brass. I was using an RCBS sizing die and the decapping pin was being pulled out of the decapping rod and jamming my Dillon press. I now use a Dillon universal decapping die before the resizing die.

Posts: 55 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
I broke the pin on my Dillon 357SIG dies. Ordered a replacement pin which also broke. On the third try I finally got an agent who told me the flash hole on 357SIG is smaller than normal... he sent me a couple of the correct size and the problems went away.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post