SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Ringers and inspecting brass.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ringers and inspecting brass. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I had a few ringers during loading yesterday and it really puts a halt to the flow. I was using processed brass and missed a few.

I need a better way to upright brass for inspection, any tips? I have a Sterelite container that does ok in getting the brass to settle rim down but a better faster solution would be good.

As it is, I can then look over only a half a dozen pieces or so for cracks and stepped cases. I’d like to be able to have more up rightened. Then it’s easier to grab them and check the primer side for weirdness or cull by head stamp.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
What's a ringer? Confused

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
What's a ringer? Confused

Inquiring minds want to know. In all my years reloading I've never heard of one.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
A ring left by a primer when it gets decapped. Like it pushes the center of the primer out but the
edge of the primer stays in. The result is like a crimp but it’s not.

Maybe others call it something else?

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
https://www.usreloadingsupply....s-what-is-a-ringer-n

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Wow. I've been reloading almost weekly since Moses parted the Red Sea and I've never seen that before.

Makes me wonder why it's just started happening.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be honest. Until I opened this thread it never occurred to me this could happen.

This adds another inspection step to my regimen.

Do you use a progressive?

Now: The problem solver in me is chomping at the bit here. The easiest way to get around it, I think, is to deprime prior to cleaning, then clean and inspect the primer pockets when you're checking for cracks/other cullable damage. A primer pocket go/no go gauge like the one Ballistic Tools sells might be a worthwhile investment. I was already going to buy them anyway for determining remaining primer pocket life (I've got some 6.5 Creedmoor brass with 7 loads on it and it's starting to show some wear and tear), but now I'm concerned about this especially since I've gone all-in on .223 again.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I use nothing but progressives for everything but load development and yes, this could be problematic if it's widespread.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Dillon RL1100 progressive loading purchased processed brass. If it would stick at the swage station, that’d be okay but finding it with the primer is annoying.

It’s fairly random, I’ll get 1 per thousand plus rounds usually is all. Last time it was 5-6 in 100 or so. I believe it’s what caused my first ever on press primer detonation, no harm though that time. After thousands and thousands of rounds.

It seems from my research, the primer gets corroded/wedged? into place from being wet and allowed to dry without using heat. Mostly from either range pickups on outdoor ranges or wet tumbling before decapping and not using a heated drying process.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I try to inspect the brass well but these are easy to miss and the other issue, crimped pockets, is resolved by the on press swage rod so that’s not an issue.

Loading 9mm for USPSA, I go through a lot of brass. I’m 99% sure I’ve not had a ringer from any brass fired through my gun as it doesn’t get wet. So, if you maintain control of your brass and separate or don’t use range brass, you should not have issues.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but all I use is range brass, so I'm going to have to pay more attention as I have no intention of switching my supplies.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I have never had this happen either.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a ringer and I have been reloading 45 years.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've been reloading 65 years and never seen a ringer.

I'm sure they exist, but I'd say they're pretty rare.

Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I wet tumble all my brass, removing the primers first. I encountered some 9mm brass that was still holding some H2O when leaving the primers in. Drying the brass in the oven didn't get it all on that batch. Never had the issue you speak of, but did encounter some corroded primers in some 5.56 brass that made it through the winter under a couple feet of snow.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Never seen a ringer. I used to grab all my brass from the police range (once fired) or the CG range (also once fired)…

What causes it ?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I've been reloading for a little over 30 years and I never had a "ringer". I've broke de-capping pins from Berdan brass, failed to insert large pistol primers on small pistol primer 45 ACP case, and even exploded a primer or two in an old Lee Progressive.
I feel like I've been missing out and need to try harder.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Never seen a ringer. I used to grab all my brass from the police range (once fired) or the CG range (also once fired)…

What causes it ?

Primer cups for pistol and rifle (not shotgun) are brass, so it would have to be something eating away the brass or faulty manufacture or both.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
My thinking is it’s somewhat of a verigras or corrosion occurring after the brass has been submerged.

Maybe I’m just lucky?

posted Hide Post
Go to your favorite hardware store and get the square honeycombed fluorescent light covers. Trim them to 10x10 squares and then epoxy them to hardboard or plywood. Scoop brass out of a 5 gallon bucket onto the grid. Most will fall in base down, pick out the ones base up and scoop again until they are all base down. If you need to inspect the bottoms, flip them into another grid tray. It is a fast way of getting 100 at a time all facing the same. It’s also a fast way to bag them for a specific amount.

Posts: 904 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post