SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Thoughts on this bench
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on this bench Login/Join 
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got a Gladiator bench, a 6 footer. It's not used for reloading but it would do the job. They can be pricey unless you catch a sale but they are nice heavy duty benches.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I just built this one it is solid as a rock, it can hold up to 1000lb each shelf. Best part, you can make it as small or large as you want.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Dryfly-

I just sent you an email.

My bench is built on a Kreg base. All steel, on casters, and very solid. Customizing length, width, and height is as easy as clicking a mouse.
For the top, I went with 2" maple butcher block from Floor and Decor. Rock solid, already cut, and very pretty, once sanded and oiled. Total cost was about $550.

Edit: It would have been about $300, if I had gone with a plywood top.

https://www.kregtool.com/store...workspace-solutions/

Feel free to share the pics. I still have trouble with the process.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that, RNshooter. I like your table a lot. Sent you a PM. The table below is prolly going to make due for now. It surprisingly has a ton of good reviews.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6993 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, well the more I look at RNShooters table...the more I like it. Here’s a pic he sent me for reference.

Posts: 6993 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RN or Dry-Fly - Is RN’s unit that is pictured the 28” x 64” standard leg height unit with casters added?

Posts: 3238 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
You’ll have to defer to RN on that one, sorry

quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
RN or Dry-Fly - Is RN’s unit that is pictured the 28” x 64” standard leg height unit with casters added?

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:

Just measured: 29" x 20" x 64", without the casters.

The top is 24.5" x 96". I left the 4.5" overhang on the front side and put a shelf on the lower rails.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Just want to say thanks again to RNshooter, your table recommendation will be great!

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I wish I had know about the Kregg legs years ago. I first saw them last year, but forgot about them. I think rather than the ULine, I'll be going Kregg. I should be able to get the wood top local.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8337 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I sourced the butcher block/bench top at two or three places pretty easily. I found a nice one made of poplar, 5’ long 25” deep and 1.5” thick for $130

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Once you start looking at butcher block, it's easy to justify the price difference, especially if it's a smaller piece.
What is the price difference between poplar and one of the hardwoods, by you?

I was drilling my bolt holes for my Ultramount in my maple top, yesterday. It's insanely hard.

I used danish oil for a finish.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
Bruce - Thanks Sir - I am about to completely re-do my reloading set up and without question I will be going with this table in my set up....Thanks Again...Mark

Posts: 3238 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
So I got my poplar top for $130 at Floor & Decor, maple was going to be like $229.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Sigarmsp226: That's high praise! I am a total noob, at this, but I do tend to overthink everything until I am sure I have the best solution Smile

Everything I have learned, I have learned it on Sigforum.

This is such a great place.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
So I got my poplar top for $130 at Floor & Decor, maple was going to be like $229.

Yep, definitely worth the price over plywood.
Nicely done!

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/ultramounts

For outfitting that new bench Smile

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Another great recommendation Bruce!

quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Bruce

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Another great recommendation Bruce!

quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Bruce

Yeah, these are the way to go. My 650 is setup on one and I’ve been very pleased with it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
So here’s my shameless copy of RNshooter’s table. Fed Ex was kind enough to tear open one of the Kreg boxes and loose the feet for my table. I assembled everything else for now, trimmed my 30” x 60” butcher top down to 55” long due to space. It was getting dark and my back was shot, so I just got one coat of stain on the poplar top. Hopefully the pieces Fed Ex lost will be replaced ASAP...I’m sure Kreg will handle it.