SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    My .223 reloads are fat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My .223 reloads are fat Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^That's what Suppressors are for... Wink

Yeah, but they don't work for beans indoors...except on a .22LR

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Incorrect. A quality can reduces noise levels by roughly 30 dB -- regardless of caliber, muzzle velocity, or shooting location.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Incorrect. A quality can reduces noise levels by roughly 30 dB -- regardless of caliber, muzzle velocity, or shooting location.

No, correct. You've obviously never shot anything larger than a .22LR suppressed indoors or you wouldn't have made this post.

When you drop the sound level from 165 dB down to 135 dB, you're still above the pain threshold and you'll regret it after the first trigger press.

I've shot .22LR, an MPX and a MP5 all suppressed indoors and I'm here to tell you the MPX and the MP5 will give you hearing damage with one shot and it will be painful.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, incorrect. I've shot suppressed 223 Remy and 300 Blk rifles indoors, both with supersonic loads. I've shot suppressed 9mm and 40 S&W pistols indoors, both with supersonic loads. I shot these 4 guns with hearing pro.

I shoot all my guns with ear pro, indoors or outdoors. When I get around to putting together a 22lr bolt action, maybe I'll consider shooting subsonic ammo suppressed outdoors without ear pro. I shoot my suppressed 22lr AR15 with subsonic ammo with ear pro, outdoors.

The suppressors did their job and took 30-ish dB off the noise levels for the supersonic ammo. Likely dropping the noise levels from 160-something to 130-something dB. Yeah, that's still too loud for unprotected ears. It will cause pain and hearing damage. It's my understanding that suppressed supersonic ammo will never be safe for bare ears, as the supersonic crack is a minimum of 130-ish dB. Silencers cannot reduce the noise level of a down range bullet, only the noise of the powder burn/explosion.

But suppressors still reduce noise levels on any caliber, any MV, any location.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
So you just repeated the fact that suppressors don't work for beans indoors so you wear ear protection.

Thanks for the help.

posted Hide Post
Good suppressors reduces noise levels by around 30 dB. I consider that working pretty darn well, as the suppressor eliminates much of the noise from the powder burn/explosion.

If one can find a way to significantly the noise levels of an object travelling faster than Mach 1, then that person will have a few industries banging on the door. Smart folks have been working on the sonic boom problem for quite awhile. I figure they'll be working on it for awhile longer. So, supersonic loads will be loud for awhile longer.

I have an 8" barrel 9mm AR, with a SilencerCo Omega 9 can. It has enough bark with 115 and 124 grain loads that a some ear pro is nice while shooting. Shoot it with 147 grain subsonic loads and it's much quieter. I could probably shoot it without any kind of ear pro. But I don't -- I use ear pro for all shooting.

I think suppressors work pretty darn well.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
FNM brass leaves a very shinny base and shaved brass with a ridge after fl sizing tossed all of it.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
Some thoughts for you.

The Colt probably has a (generous) 5.56 NATO chamber. It swallos everything and whatever you fire in it, grows to match these generous dimensions.

The Aero has a tighter chamber that easily accommodates factory ammo but has issues with fat cases fired in a NATO chamber. (Been there, done that.)

The AR-15 is very little camming action compared to say, a bolt action, hence the issues you have been experiencing.

Cases have a tendency to grow the more you fire them. I get 8-10 full (sometimes over loaded) power loads from my cases. To retard the case expansion, I long ago switched to small base on my match ammo caliber sizing dies (.223 Rem and .308 Win). I use these from the first firing. Never had an issue after that.

The case guage rules! If your sized case does not slip in perfectly in the guage, you need to figure it out. And you seem to have done that, so well done.

I suggest you spot check ammo at different times using that guage. Just to keep everything in check.

BTW, my regimen of F/L sizing cases with bushing and small base dies gives me the following: I slipped an 8X fired case (prior to sizing) into the case guage, and it fits right in. Yes, a case that has been fired 8 times (sized 7 times) with a small base die with a bushing. I think that is testament to proper sizing right there.

I'm glad you got it figured out.

Next up, you need an instant indicator comparator:
https://www.redding-reloading....nd-bullet-comparator

This allows me to set my sizing die to provide a shoulder setback of .001 for my match ammo.

Aero offers 3 chamberings,
223 Wylde,

wondering if the OP's barrel is 223 (not wylde)??

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post