SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    My .223 reloads are fat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My .223 reloads are fat Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
My .223 reloads are 3 thousand fat at the neck and midway but fine at the base, they run great thru my colt 6920 but not thru my aero precision Ar15 only the factory ammo works in it. dillion carbide die set,running thru 1050.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 thou is a lot to be off.

Check/compare headspace of a few fired cases with the primers knocked out from both chambers.

Check the neck, mid dimension of fired cases from both chambers, as well as sized and factory ammo?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
This just crop up ? check the bullets for over size.
I just can not be-leave you wore that much of the sizing die.I am still using my dies from the sixties and this never cropped up

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I take that back my loaded ammo is within dimensions, but the factory loads are undersize. so, is the receiver to tight on the aero?

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
This just crop up ? check the bullets for over size.
I just can not be-leave you wore that much of the sizing die.I am still using my dies from the sixties and this never cropped up

I didn't notice anything until I tried runny my reloads thru another gun.

posted Hide Post
I would suggest strongly that you get a case guage for that caliber. I have one for each rifle caliber I handload.

https://www.brownells.com/relo...auges-prod55081.aspx

I have found that measuring the cases at various spots is still no substitute for a case guage. It has shown me a problem similar to what you are describing. Once, you know the problem, you can address it and I did.

For pistols, I use the barrel itself to check the ammo.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
I would suggest strongly that you get a case guage for that caliber. I have one for each rifle caliber I handload.

I have found that measuring the cases at various spots is still no substitute for a case guage. It has shown me a problem similar to what you are describing. Once, you know the problem, you can address it and I did.

Yep. It's the only good way to check.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:

sounds like a great idea, let's say I get a case gauge and they don't fit what can I do to change that? the bullets go completely into the resizing die have been checked for length and run thru the stations.

posted Hide Post
A case guage is relatively cheap, and one of those must haves. Let's start with that and see what it shows.

When I've had issues with reloads in the (distant) past, they were centered on handloads first fired in one barrel and then tried in another barrel with a tight chamber.

When I placed a finished handload in the Guage, the problem was very apparent. It would not go in all the way without having to push it in quite vigorously. I took drastic action to remedy. Small base dies and new brass.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I picked up a case gauge, some fit some don't, but all don't fit as easy as the factory ammo. I called dillion but I'm 9000 in the que so that might take a year before they get back to me in the meantime I pulled the bullets to the ones that don't fit, checked the case length most were 1.752 book says 1760 max so I'm under there which is a good thing imo.

I put just the case in the gauge, and it still sticks out, ran it back thru the press resizing die it all the way down contacting shell plate ran it thru the machine no change. I'm stumped ?? going to have to go thru every round and check them that's going to be a pain. funny how they will work in the colt and not the aero, I called aero and they were no help. I should add the will go down in the case gauge if you push them, but factory ammo drops right it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
funny how they will work in the colt and not the aero, I called aero and they were no help. I should add the will go down in the case gauge if you push them, but factory ammo drops right it.

I hope you understand that the receivers aren't the issue. What matters is the barrels, as they appear to be chambered differently.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

What matters is the barrels, as they appear to be chambered differently.

...and maybe headspace. Easy to check by measuring fired cases from each chamber with a headspace/bump gauge.

OP did you buy the Aero as a complete rifle or upper with BCG? Or put it together using a different brand BCG?

FYI- the Dillon Carbide die is on the small end of spec or small'ish base die.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

What matters is the barrels, as they appear to be chambered differently.

...and maybe headspace. Easy to check by measuring fired cases from each chamber with a headspace/bump gauge.

OP did you buy the Aero as a complete rifle or upper with BCG? Or put it together using a different brand BCG?

FYI- the Dillon Carbide die is on the small end of spec or small'ish base die.

I assembled the aero from all aero parts including barrel, bolt and the head space was checked and it's correct. All I get from aero service is that " Well it works with factory ammo so not our problem"

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
ok I got it figured out I need to cam over on my resizing die a few thousands. now im heading to the range.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
ok I got it figured out I need to cam over on my resizing die a few thousands. now im heading to the range.

So the shoulder wasn't set back far enough.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

So the shoulder wasn't set back far enough.

that would be my guess Just had no idea you had to over cam them in sizing die.

posted Hide Post
Some thoughts for you.

The Colt probably has a (generous) 5.56 NATO chamber. It swallos everything and whatever you fire in it, grows to match these generous dimensions.

The Aero has a tighter chamber that easily accommodates factory ammo but has issues with fat cases fired in a NATO chamber. (Been there, done that.)

The AR-15 is very little camming action compared to say, a bolt action, hence the issues you have been experiencing.

Cases have a tendency to grow the more you fire them. I get 8-10 full (sometimes over loaded) power loads from my cases. To retard the case expansion, I long ago switched to small base on my match ammo caliber sizing dies (.223 Rem and .308 Win). I use these from the first firing. Never had an issue after that.

The case guage rules! If your sized case does not slip in perfectly in the guage, you need to figure it out. And you seem to have done that, so well done.

I suggest you spot check ammo at different times using that guage. Just to keep everything in check.

BTW, my regimen of F/L sizing cases with bushing and small base dies gives me the following: I slipped an 8X fired case (prior to sizing) into the case guage, and it fits right in. Yes, a case that has been fired 8 times (sized 7 times) with a small base die with a bushing. I think that is testament to proper sizing right there.

I'm glad you got it figured out.

Next up, you need an instant indicator comparator:
https://www.redding-reloading....nd-bullet-comparator

This allows me to set my sizing die to provide a shoulder setback of .001 for my match ammo.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don't with all sizing dies, just some manufacturers dies.

Edited to add:

Dillon documents the fact you may have to cam over with their dies on page 11 of this PDF:
https://dilloncdn.com/manuals/...ructions-english.pdf

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

You don't with all sizing dies, just some manufacturers dies.

Edited to add:

Dillon documents the fact you may have to cam over with their dies on page 11 of this PDF:
https://dilloncdn.com/manuals/...ructions-english.pdf

thanks for the info I just never knew what cam over was, they should explain it a little better. allot more to loading rifle then pistol thinking about selling the ar15 and just go with 9mm in everything. my 10.5 inch barrel in my Aero is so loud it's not as fun to shoot as I anticipated.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^That's what Suppressors are for... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post