SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    10mm powders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10mm powders Login/Join 
posted
I just started handloading 10mm for a 320 XTEN and asking about favorite powders for 165 180 grain bullets. I have Power Pistol, Blue Dot, AA9 and WW231. I cant find any AA7 which looks like the most versitle one. I've read that Blue Dot has a lot of blast and flash. What is your opinions

Posts: 4 | Registered: August 25, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I don’t reload that round. I’d think the W231 would be great with the lighter bullets for range use.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its liste dfor good accuracy but not with stellar velocity. I probably will try it with some 165's though

Posts: 4 | Registered: August 25, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've been using Unique under 200 grainers.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I have settled on Hodgdon CFE Pistol as my primary handgun usage powder. 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, and .44 mag. I have had spectacular results.
There are plenty of other powder choices out there that will give you a higher velocity by 100 to 200 fps, depending on the cartridge.
CFE Pistol meters very nicely in powder measures. I don't even bother weighing it, other than for setting a powder measure. Once set, I weigh only the first and last powder charge.
Now I am stocking only three handgun powder choices in my inventory.

In 10mm, CFE Pistol will equal most factory loadings, or close to it, but will not give you the velocity of the hotter Buffalo Bore, Underwood and similar boutique loadings.
If you are after the last available fps, CFE Pistol powder is not for you.

This is all I stock now for handguns.
Trail Boss for very light mouse fart loadings. (can be hard to find)
CFE Pistol for everything between mild to wild. (available easily)
Lil Gun for high energy .500 S & W loads. (mixed availability)

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1492 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that owns a 480 Ruger handgun, short barreled version. He doesn’t reload, so just shoots full power, factory ammo. Since all his ammo has plenty of blast & recoil, he hardly ever shoots the gun. He jokes that the one box of ammo may last his lifetime.

Yes, the 10mm is well short of the 480 with blast & recoil. I’d still have some mid-loads that reliably cycle for casual range use. One can have the full power loads when desired.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Longshot is superb in 10mm. I found that CFE Pistol, BE-86, and others in that range, ran out of gas trying to achieve 1200 fps or higher with 180 loads.

TR

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I've been using Unique which seems to work well. I haven't used it for bullets heavier than 180 grains.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2071 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have loaded a lot of 10mm. But with 180gr bullets. Unique, Blue Dot and No. 7 have all given me good results. Power Pistol worked well too.

Michael Noirot
NRA Life Member
Clarksville, Tennessee

Posts: 104 | Location: Clarksville, Tennessee | Registered: December 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
Here's are some handy spread sheets to assist you

https://docs.google.com/spread...CsE5Jcbes/edit#gid=0

https://stevespages.com/400p_2.html

My much preferred 10mm powder is Vihtavuori's N-105 which is reportedly no longer being manufactured, regrettable if so, on my part. My current preferred bullets are 180 and 200 gr JHPs. My metrics for performance are (1) around 1150fps for the 200 grain and 1250 for the 180 grain and (2) burning rate profile or pressure curve which suits the recoil preference of my right hand and my pistols' slide recoil springing. The best and most accurate commercial rounds that I ever fired, a decade or more ago, were by ProLoad which are seemingly no longer to be had. They told me they used a commercial(available only by the barrel for mfrs) powder that was most closely matched by AA #7 although I didn't perceive it to be all that close in my pistols.
Your mileage may vary. Smile

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Surfer
posted Hide Post
Longshot is the way to go.

Posts: 1639 | Location: South East Mo. | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@Gustofer and @ggile
what recipes are you using for Unique.

Also assuming mild loads with that powder, what is the case lifespan that you are observing (eg how many reloads a case is good for with the recipes you are using) ?

Posts: 91 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
5.5gr gives me ~1050 out of my G20.

ETA: Lyman's (49th Ed.) claims 6.1gr will do nearly that. Maybe my scale(s) or chrono are off. Not sure what they tested it out of though. :shrug: It works for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gustofer,

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signoir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orthogonal:
My much preferred 10mm powder is Vihtavuori's N-105 which is reportedly no longer being manufactured, regrettable if so, on my part. My current preferred bullets are 180 and 200 gr JHPs. My metrics for performance are (1) around 1150fps for the 200 grain and 1250 for the 180 grain and (2) burning rate profile or pressure curve which suits the recoil preference of my right hand and my pistols' slide recoil springing.

Ditto. I use N-105 for both 10mm (180g/1250fps) and 357 Sig (125g/1350fps). A big bummer for me if Vihtavuori discontinues it.

"When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power...like God must feel... when he's holding a gun!" H. Simpson.

Posts: 1044 | Registered: July 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Longshot. That was my go to for 10, and 357 SIG.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post