SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Velocity vs size
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Velocity vs size Login/Join 
THIEF/banned
posted
I need some advice. I'm attempting to work up a load for a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm using Hornady brass, Hornady ELD-x 143 grain bullets, H4350 powder and CCI primers (have tried both standard and magnum). It seems that whenever I get to an acceptable group size (for me that is 1/2 moa), my velocity extreme spread/ SD gets bigger. When I get my velocity / SD number reduced , my groups open up (sometimes over 1 moa). I've tried adjusting seating depth, powder charge and primers and it doesn't seem to help much. Any advice anyone can give me as to what to try next would be appreciated.

Posts: 71 | Location: PA | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Targets don't lie.

Take the load further out.

Good luck.

Posts: 39 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue68f100
posted Hide Post
Primers make a difference is group size. Like said as, you increased the load your groups got smaller. Work on up higher looking for pressure signs as you go. I'm shooting the 140's in my AR with the 6.5 CM. I'm averaging 1 moa or less at 300 yrds.

You may want to get o hold of some better brass, Lapua. It will make a difference in group size.

David

P229R 9mm, Nitron, Beavertail Frame, Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT & Short Reach Trigger

Posts: 3464 | Location: Piney Woods of East Texas | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Changing one variable at a time is the optimal way to ensure you are isolating problems. SD/ES is a measure of consistency not of accuracy.

Another issue that is overlooked and very important - Neck tension. Related to this will be work hardening which will require annealing to rectify.

Distance will be the verifier of all efforts. A group that looks good at 100yds, may open up at distance or be too slow to buck the wind.

Reloading is a practice in the "Law of Diminishing Returns". You can chase variables till your exhausted. Then you throw the brass or barrel away and start over.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
You don't give us any data to work with. Charge weight, velocity, ES and SD would give us an idea where you are. You should use a method to determine the ideal charge weight. Either Ladder test or Optimum Charge Weight (Dan Newberry - Google).

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
IMO, vel spread isn't a huge deal but for maybe shooting past 600. Try diff primers, not a fan of mag primers but they can be better or worse for accuracy.
When I get a good load for any rifle, I run a series & just swap primers. Sometimes it helps with accuracy & vel dev.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Fro smallest deviations, you will likely want to sort brass by internal volume & number of times fired.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Get some Lapua brass.

How much neck tension are You using?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post