SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Removing lanolin lube
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing lanolin lube Login/Join 
posted
Woolite is supposed to be the greatest thing to remove lanolin lube from brass. It seems most people are wet tumbling a second time in water with a bit of Woolite added. I was just wondering if anyone has just tried the Woolite/water solution in a bucket and dumped the brass in and given it a stir? Is wet tumbling a second time absolutely necessary?

Posts: 882 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have used several cleaning products to clean grubbie range brass,simple green,and others like it in my kitchen sink.
I have a ultra sonic cleaner I have used also.
When the are dry they go to tumbler to get dirty again,keeps brass from chaffing bullet when seating.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anxious to learn from this post.

I remember once trying to clean lubed rifle brass in my wet tumbler using SS pins, dawn, and lemi-shine and it made the nastiest mess ever. I ended up tumbling (vibration) that brass in corn cob media and then had to put corn cob media in my wet tumbling drum to get the dang case lube off the walls and inside lid…

Standing by to learn how best to manage lubed rifle brass…..As for my pistol brass they get a shot of Hornady One Shot and get loaded with it on the brass…..

Posts: 3236 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I use water soluble lube and avoid this whole problem.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Flash - What I can say is that now I know that the Dillon case lube is not water soluble.

Now to find one that is water soluble and still provides the needed lube to support rifle case resizing…. (Any suggestions)?

Posts: 3236 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
quote:

Flash - What I can say is that now I know that the Dillon case lube is not water soluble.

Now to find one that is water soluble and still provides the needed lube to support rifle case resizing…. (Any suggestions)?

RCBS Case Lube II. It's what I've been using for a long time.

https://www.rcbs.com/case-proc...e-lube-2/355368.html

This excellent non-toxic lubricant is water soluble and wipes off easily with no sticky residue. Use it with RCBS® Lube Dies or Case Lube Pad.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I make my own Dillon-type lube. A teaspoon or so of lanolin in a bottle of HEAT and then into a spray bottle.

Works great and I don't really worry much about cleaning it off. Just a quick wipe with a blue shop towel. I've not had any issues.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I've had zero issues with One Shot, except when I forget to apply it. I recently took a 2 gallon bucket of 223 brass, sprayed a bunch in from the top, mixed it around, sprayed some more and mixed it around again, and while it's not the prettiest method of lubing everything I've not had any problems with it on my progressive.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
quote:
quote:

I've had zero issues with One Shot, except when I forget to apply it. I recently took a 2 gallon bucket of 223 brass, sprayed a bunch in from the top, mixed it around, sprayed some more and mixed it around again, and while it's not the prettiest method of lubing everything I've not had any problems with it on my progressive.

We're not talking about problems with it on the press, we're talking about problems caused by shooting a loaded round that has lube on it.

posted Hide Post
I use lanolin when swaging bullets for bench rest competition. I use Trichloroethylene to remove the lanolin.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
CRPA Life Member
National Benchrest Shooters Assn. Life Member

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
quote:
quote:

We're not talking about problems with it on the press, we're talking about problems caused by shooting a loaded round that has lube on it.

Okay, I misunderstood the assignment and will try again. For my precision stuff I still use One Shot, but I do a second wet tumble operation to clean up the lube after sizing on the single stage. For bulk 223 I don't worry about it and shoot it without cleaning up the lube. Hell, it's water based, so you could just do a quick wipe down if you want.

One Shot can be left on the cases. I've done it. The real reason why I wash it off is because it gets super sooty, and that can lead to false alerts when doing load development.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I’ve tried One Shot and had a horrible experience, it’s why I switched to lanolin. Whatever I do, wiping is out of the question. The elbows are so bad that reloading can be difficult. Thankfully shooting hasn’t bothered them yet.

Posts: 882 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
Thanks for the replies. I’ve tried One Shot and had a horrible experience, it’s why I switched to lanolin. Whatever I do, wiping is out of the question. The elbows are so bad that reloading can be difficult. Thankfully shooting hasn’t bothered them yet.

One Shot, AKA "Super Glue" if used improperly.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I make my own Dillon-type lube. A teaspoon or so of lanolin in a bottle of HEAT and then into a spray bottle.

Works great and I don't really worry much about cleaning it off. Just a quick wipe with a blue shop towel. I've not had any issues.

That has been my experience as well. Simply wiping each case removes all the lanolin easily.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I’m loading a box of 50 or less I don’t run them thru the wet tumbling again. I lay the cases out on a old rag and spray them with brake cleaner or if I’m out of that I use alcohol, then roll the cases on the rag and remove to a reloading block so they dry off(the cleaner dries)

I quit using One Stuck years ago and tossed the can out in the trash after my third stuck case. I haven’t had one since then.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post