SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Lee .003 under sizing die
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee .003 under sizing die Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
Ok, I have a Springfield Ronin in 9mm with a super tight chamber. My hand loads will most of the time not chamber properly, but factory is no problem. Will this die make that much difference? It's either that or I have the chamber reamed a red hair?

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
What dies are you currently using? I use Lee carbide dies, including the factory crimp die. My rounds chamber just fine in my EMP4...which I realize isn't the same gun as the Ronin, but they're both SA 1911s....ish. Might be worth giving it a look if you haven't already. I believe you can buy the FCD as a standalone unit.

The only chambering issues I've ever had in any gun using that setup were related to the OAL being too long for some guns with tighter throats, and those were resolved by plunk testing and seating the bullets deeper.

If factory ammo is chambering fine, I definitely wouldn't ream the chamber on your gun.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t think of messing with the chamber until a very last resort. I’d start with the basics, barrel out, do some ‘plunk’ testing. Try to find out what part is hanging up, resized case or that particular bullet.

The bullet could be a factor, mic them, compare to others. Maybe even a Lee FCD if needed. I’m just thinking properly sized & loaded rounds ‘should’ cycle.

Is the COL correct with that bullet? What bullet? Only one type or any? Not all bullets are the same, even with brass, thickness can vary.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
Have you had the chamber mic-ed?

If it's under spec perhaps Springfield will correct it for you.

I'd rather have the gun be right than chase oddball solutions to a problem that's not that hard to just fix.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your reloads nearly chamber correctly, I might be tempted to use a dremel and some jeweler's rouge to polish the chamber a bit. It may just have a rough finish in it.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you reload do you seat and crimp in separate operations?

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The u-die is what you want. It has the added advantage that you shouldn't be getting any setback once the case is pressed down undersize. Light bell on the case enough to start the bullet, press, and use just enough taper crimp to remove the bell, no more.

If your factory rounds are feeding just fine, then clearly it's not the chamber.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
One answer or measurement would be to use a micrometer on a fired case (obviously a factory.) It will give you a picture, maybe, of where the problem is.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
…Slotted…well worth the extra dollars…lets you see the resized brass first hand Cool…I use them for EVERY round I reload Smile …I think these are a must have for reloaders…but that’s just me Smile

https://sheridanengineering.co...mm-ammunition-gauge/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If small batches of ammunition are what you're doing, its worthwhile to use a single-cartridge case gauge. I use a shockbottle gauge to do 100 at a time. It's handy, because a 100 round case fits against it; turn the gauge over, all the rounds drop into the case upside down, Hold another case against that and turn over, and now all 100 rounds are in a plastic storage container correctly oriented, no need to take time putting them into slots...only once for the case gauge.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/...auge-anodized-black/

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What hand load?
Suggest blacking one and trying to see where it sticks.

If it accepts factory loads, SA will probably tell you it meets specifications.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Three different people I shoot with every week own STI handguns and they too have tight chambers.

The Lee die was the answer to all their problems.

Edited to add:

Talked to all 3 and the dies they replaced in all 3 cases were Dillon sizing/decapping dies. Seems they radiused the mouth too much for "easier indexing" and that created a sizing problem for tight chambers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post