SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    First 308 loads and quick accuracy review
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First 308 loads and quick accuracy review Login/Join 
posted
Hello guys,

I loaded my first 308 ammo a few days ago and was able to test them yesterday. The gun is a LMT MWS with 3.5 power Trijicon TA11 with 308 BDC.

Loads were:

Hornady 168gr BTHP
44gr Varget
Win LRP
Win Brass Trimmed 2.005
OAL 2.79 - 2.80

Hornady 168gr BTHP
44.5gr Varget
Win LRP
Win Brass Trimmed 2.005
OAL 2.79 - 2.80

Hornady 168gr BTHP
42gr IMR 4064
Win LRP
Win Brass Trimmed 2.005
OAL 2.79 - 2.80

Hornady 168gr BTHP
43gr IMR 4064
Win LRP
Win Brass Trimmed 2.005
OAL 2.79 - 2.80

Shot #1 was from a cold barrel. I should have used it as a fouling shot as the next 4 shots using the 44gr of Varget went into the same hole. Not bad at all from a 3.5x optic. That will be my new load. The 43gr of 4064 did very good as well. To be honest, a higher power optic and getting around to changing out the factory trigger with my Larue MBT will have all those groups at MOA.

I am insanely impressed with the 44gr Varget load.

**I wrote IMR 4062 on the paper, but used 4064**

All groups were 5 shots at 100 meters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usncorpsman,

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
That 44gr Varget load looks like the one! I don't know if you could find a better group.
It must be nice, to find your rifle's favorite, on your first outing Smile

Maybe report back with groups from that load at 200, 300, 400 and beyond. I would be interested in seeing if it holds them same MOA at longer distances or changes drastically.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post