SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Load Recommendations for 30-30
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load Recommendations for 30-30 Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
After many decades of sitting on the fence, I decided to commit to loading 30-30's for the fun of it. Maybe it's from watching the Yellowstone series, not sure. Anyway...

My Christmas Gift to me this year was a new Henry Lever Action and now have the components coming for my Dillon 550.

What I'm not clear on is a good load for a 170 soft point bullet. Think I want to stay with Hodgeon products since I'm using a progressive press.

Also, any good tips and tricks on reloading rifle rounds would be appreciated as this is my first venture into the rifle reloads.

Thanks.

Picture for bragging.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What loading manual are you using?

Seriously, I always wonder why someone in your position would ask something like this from anonymous strangers on the internet; especially when it involves your fingers, eyesight, and monetary investment.

Powder and bullet companies have quite a bit of free data available online. If you're not willing to invest in a loading manual (I'd recommend Lyman's), you should take advantage of data from a reliable source.

Posts: 779 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Win748 or BLC(2) have been good for me. I prefer Win748. There’s something that feels right about loading the 30WCF with a Winchester powder, and the performance is fantastic.

The 30-30 is actually a tricky cartridge to load. Being an old fashioned case, the case walls are very thin at the neck, and are, therefore, very easy to crush during crimping. Do not forgo the crimp, however, because of the tube magazine in that rifle.

Believe it or not, this is one of those instances where a Lee tool will serve you well. A Lee factory crimp die will save you much frustration and many pieces of wrecked brass. Trying to get a standard crimp die “just right” can be frustrating.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thx.

I did read someplace else that the Lee Crimp die was the way to go.

I have not purchased my dies yet and was thinking on getting the RCBS 2 die set. I may still need to think that one thru.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
^^^ Thx.

I did read someplace else that the Lee Crimp die was the way to go.

I have not purchased my dies yet and was thinking on getting the RCBS 2 die set. I may still need to think that one thru.

You can use the RCBS 2 die set with the Lee Crimp die.

Just use the RCBS seat/crimp die for seating only.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^ Makes sense.

quote:
Win748 or BLC(2) have been good for me. I prefer Win748. There’s something that feels right about loading the 30WCF with a Winchester powder, and the performance is fantastic.

With the 748, do you use a magnum primer? Interesting thing, the Hodgeon site does not show using 748 as a powder. My Speer book says to use a magnum primer with a lesser load than what is called out in the Lyman book.

My Nosler #4 book doesn't show 748 or BL-C2 either.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting thing, the Hodgeon site does not show using 748 as a powder. My Speer book says to use a magnum primer with a lesser load than what is called out in the Lyman book.

Well, the HODGDON site has data for Win 748 and a 170 grain bullet. I don't know about the Hodgeon site.

Posts: 779 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Hey mesabi.
Thanks for helping me see the way. I found the right web site and clicked the right buttons and whoop! There it was.

Appreciate the help.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don’t use Magnum primers. Just standard, and it works just fine.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Trim your cases to spec and use a separate crimp die.On the 550 I use a gutted die to do a roll crimp.That lee crimp die makes a mess when you reload that brass a second time

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Trim your cases to spec and use a separate crimp die.On the 550 I use a gutted die to do a roll crimp.That lee crimp die makes a mess when you reload that brass a second time

Good to know. Why do you think the Lee crimp die does not work on the second reload? How many rounds do you fire till the case hits the trash. I was thinking maybe 4-5 times till the case is spent.

I did find some BLC(2) powder so that is what I'll try first. No double charging that round as I test filled the max charge in the casing and it left just enough room for the bullet.

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
^^^ It expands case length at mouth causing more trimming each reload .this caused me to go with roll like factory.
I can not think of one factory round in any caliber that uses the Lee type crimp
There must be some reason!
30 30 bullets have a channel lure and that is designed for roll crimp

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee Factory Crimp die on the following calibers and have for around 30 years or so with no problems of any kind caused by the die:

.45-70
.444 Marlin
.30-06
.223/5.56

.45 Colt
.45 ACP
.357 Magnum
.38 Special
9MM
.380 ACP

Maybe it just causes problems with .30-30?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I don't crimp 380,9mm or 45 apc all others and a few more I have loaded for and I bit into and bought half a dozen lee crimp dies,they are still up in the cabinet
only time you crimp some of those is if they are cast.
I have loaded 57x28 380,9mm,38,357,44 45 apc 45 long colt 223,2506, 270, 7mm,6.8.3006,300 win,300 ultrs mag 460 socom 458 socom and my first loading were the 30-30 back in 1970
None of my bullets I hunt with not loaded in a tube just trimmed and worked up with no crimp

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't crimp 380,9mm or 45 apc all others and a few more I have loaded for and I bit into and bought half a dozen lee crimp dies,they are still up in the cabinet
only time you crimp some of those is if they are cast.

That's where you're wrong. Many rounds should be crimped. .38, .357, .45 Long Colt for sure with roll crimps in a revolver.

Automatic pistol rounds with a taper crimp.

https://americanhandgunner.com...into%20the%20chamber.

Crimping De-Mystified.
By Mike “Duke” Venturino

With autoloading pistols a loose bullet moving in the other direction can also be dangerous. There must be a taper crimp on the bullet to keep it from getting pressed into the case as it travels from the magazine, up the feed ramp and into the chamber. When this happens, case capacity is diminished, pressures rise and the result can be a ruptured case, releasing high pressure gas into the pistol. That’s a recipe for disaster.

Almost all bullets designed for revolvers have a crimping groove or cannulure so case mouths can be roll-crimped into them.

Here’s a factory loaded Romanian 7.62×25 Tokarov and a US .30 Carbine. Note the stab-crimp on
the Romanian round. The .30 Carbine must be taper crimped because it headspaces on the case mouth.

To paraphrase Mr. Spock, “Crimp heavily and crimp tightly — so you will live long and prosper.”

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
you crimp your 380 9mm and 45 apc jacket bullets?

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
you crimp your 380 9mm and 45 apc jacket bullets?

Absolutely. Taper crimp with the Lee Factory Crimp Die. So does everyone I know who reloads.

This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Taper crimp, not roll crimp.

The Dillon Carbide dies taper crimp unless its a cartridge like the 45 Colt. That Dillon die roll crimps the bullet. I presume the 38 special and like revolver type cartridges are roll crimped.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
^^^^ Taper crimp, not roll crimp.

The Dillon Carbide dies taper crimp unless its a cartridge like the 45 Colt. That Dillon die roll crimps the bullet. I presume the 38 special and like revolver type cartridges are roll crimped.

They are, you're right.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’ve used a Lee factory crimp die on my 30-30 brass and have gotten many reloads from the same brass. I’ve only used a single stage, though, and I only resize enough to function well. I don’t go nuts with a fill size resize.

I don’t see how squeezing the neck with a collet can cause your brass to lengthen. Facotory loads probably don’t use collet dies because they don’t have to. They’re working with new components where everything they use is controlled. It would make sense for them to seat and crimp in one step.