SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    When was the last time you found primers other than auctions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When was the last time you found primers other than auctions? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I have not seen any in at least a year. I think I have email notifications set at all supply sites if those even work. Nothing.

I think I am down to a few K small pistol primers.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The LGS was getting stock but started limiting to 1K per day over the Summer, then 500 in the Fall, then 300, 200, 100 by December and even those were gobbled up by the 60+ people in line at opening time..

I haven't seen any since, but I also kinda stopped looking. Site Email notifications will get you nowhere, stock is gone within minutes as it hits the app notifications (discord, etc.)

Recent Gun shows have some at GunBroker prices which is insane, so if you didn't stock up, you're in for the wait IMHO..

Posts: 8 | Registered: February 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Well, I sold 5000 of them on Saturday. The problem was they were large rifle magnum. I had no use for them, some one else seemed to. All I wanted was better than the $100 I paid for them a couple of years ago. I'd hoped to get $200 for the lot of them. The buyer/shyster wanted to chisel me down to $175, and I didn't care. Except his chiseling was per 1000, so he paid me $875 for the sleeve. I was good with it.

The thread question was when was the last time I "found" some, an that was Friday night digging through crap to take along to the gun show. Right there in a box were two boxes of 100 each. The source unknown. Its the problem with having too much crap. Stuff/shit just seems to turn up. I don't shoot small rifle primers, so their eventual destiny will be some handgun ammo. I lost any pride years ago.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rburg:
Well, I sold 5000 of them on Saturday. The problem was they were large rifle magnum. I had no use for them, some one else seemed to. All I wanted was better than the $100 I paid for them a couple of years ago. I'd hoped to get $200 for the lot of them. The buyer/shyster wanted to chisel me down to $175, and I didn't care. Except his chiseling was per 1000, so he paid me $875 for the sleeve. I was good with it.

875 for 5000 primers ? OMG!! I should just sell all I have including my 2 dillion reloader's if people are willing to pay those crazy prices.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I bought 1K of 209 Winchester primers from a guy on another board around June of last year. $30.00 was all he wanted.

There are primers for sale on local to me gun boards from time to time. Just high prices.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Like the ability to walk in, take your pick of what kind you want, and buy a box of 1000 off the shelf? I haven't seen that since last April.

In the last 4 or 5 months, I've visited a bunch of gun stores, most of the local ones on a weekly or biweekly basis. I always check for primers. I even looked at a bunch of places when I was in FL and AL on vacation last month, and found nothing.

I found some small pistol and small rifle at a large store in Ohio at Christmas time, but they had very limited stock and were limiting people to 100 per customer. They were charging $7.99/100, and I paid it.

My favorite local place had some large rifle magnum match back in January. Again, very small quantity in stock, and they were limiting them to 100 per customer. Charging $10.99/100. They've had absolutely nothing since, and the owner told me he has no idea when he'll be able to get more. He hasn't been able to get any from his distributor.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I bought about 150K of various primers in 2013 if that's any indication. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

How many do you have left?

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
quote:

How many do you have left?

Depends on who you ask.

Me: Not enough.
Wife: WTF did you buy all that for?

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just curious (not that it matters at the moment), but how do you go about placing an order of that size? I've never bought more than 5,000 at a time, always through midway or mid south...I've looked to see if I could get a bulk discount to purchase more, but have never found one advertised anywhere, and most places limit how many they will ship in a single order. Is there a way to go direct to a distributor or manufacturer?

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My record is something like 20K at one time, but it was at a store, not internet.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Back in September or so I would see a few boxes (not cartons) of shotgun primers on a shelf, but nothing else. Since then, nada.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

Just curious (not that it matters at the moment), but how do you go about placing an order of that size? I've never bought more than 5,000 at a time, always through midway or mid south...I've looked to see if I could get a bulk discount to purchase more, but have never found one advertised anywhere, and most places limit how many they will ship in a single order. Is there a way to go direct to a distributor or manufacturer?

Gun show in SoCal, over the span of two or three months.

I *think* it was Powder Valley. There would be a show at Del Mar followed the next week at Costa Mesa. Rinse and repeat each month from May until August (at the time)

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Just saw 4K Federal Small Rifle primers go for $150.00/1,000 on one of the local boards.

Primers are being sold all the time on the boards at high prices.

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
1 lgs had small pistol back in January on a very limited basis.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Local shop sold me 200 small magnum pistol primers. Hated paying 7 per hundred but I guess that’s cheap in the current market.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My local Bass Pro had small and large primers for rifle and pistol, today. They said there were 200 people lined up over an hour before they opened. The lady at the counter said that the first 50 people in line are lined up like that, every day.
We know why that is, don't we? Gotta keep feeding those auction sites. Grrrrr....

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stock and Field had some on the shelf end of 2020
They were CCI , I believe they were Large Pistol and Shot Gun. I had high hopes that this was going to be the place to go. Then they announced the store was shutting down.

Also
No idea on the price but last month maybe one of the shooters I know talked about picking up primers at a gun shop, Kempf's in Michigan City

He indicated they were pricey and that he had to buy bullets to match the primer purchase one for one. Unfortunately the bullet selection was limited.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
LGS had federal small pistol primers this week...missed them! They have not had any in almost a year.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
July 2020 at Sportsman's Warehouse. $24 a thousand for Federal Small Pistol Primers.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post