SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    New Rifle, New Round - 22 Hornet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Rifle, New Round - 22 Hornet Login/Join 
Picture of sourdough44
posted
At the shop a week ago I saw an older Model 70, dated to 1938, 4 digit SN. The tag said ‘22 Hornet’. I had an ongoing interest, looked then put a deposit down.

The gun is in fine shape for it’s age, stock in great condition. It did have a few negatives to reduce value as a ‘collector’ piece. The 1st are some German ‘claw’ type scope bases, front soldered in place. They look like great quality, they can stay for now, compatible rings seem problematic.

Another thing came up during test firings. The chamber have been cut to a ‘K’ Hornet, sharper shoulder. The tag didn’t say, consignment sale, doubt the shop owner knew. Reading about it, the K can be an improvement on the cartridge. It’s does take away some value as a collector.

I’ll be set up to load the standard or the K round. I have some older IMR-4227 powder to burn up, I’ll start there. This gun should have the slower 1/16” twist, tighter bore. I’ll use 35 & 40 grain .224 bullets, .223” bullets as available.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You have mail.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
You have mail.

Your address came back with a problem,My address should be correct in forum,contact me for a karma.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Thanks, sent. Sometimes the copied link has extra characters, messes things up.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
We got it done

posted Hide Post
Love the K Hornet! AA1680 and 35gr Hornady V Max have sent many PD's to the promise land

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dad has a 22hornet. His friends gave it to him when we moved from Tampa to the mountains in NC. He’s killed plenty of deer with it (headshots).

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
45 Cal, The 33 grain Hornet bullets came today, THANKS a bunch. I have a few 40 grain bullets on the shelf but I’ll definitely start with those quintessential(thanks spell check) Hornet bullets.

I added a single stage press to go with my turret press, reason being some of the shell plates are hard to find. It’s easier to source the single shell holder. I got the Redding ‘Big Boss II’ press. I’ll have follow-on uses.

With the regular Hornet brass, then after firing it turns into ‘K’ brass, I’m set up to load both. Only a little more setup & I’ll get some finished rounds done.

One last wrinkle is a touch of Covid making some rounds. I’m about 3-4 days in, classic symptoms, fairly mild, don’t plan to get tested.