SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    SWC in semi automatic pistols?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SWC in semi automatic pistols? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Anything specific to watch for? I'm going to test some coated 175gr SWC bullets from Bayou Bullets in my CZ TSO in 40 caliber. It shoots the Bayou or Blue 180gr at 1.125 or so very well.

I just like the nice big clean hole the SWC leave.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8336 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Some pistols can be sensitive to seating depth. You'll probably have to experiment a little with it to get a setup that feeds reliably. Throating of the chamber, feed ramp geometry, and magazine feed lip and follower design plus the shape of the front of the magazine can all affect it. It doesn't take a big change in seating depth to make a difference, so if it doesn't feed 100% on the first try, make very slight changes in or out until it does. Any modern pistol should feed a SWC reliably when the overall length is correct.

I've used SWCs successfully in both 1911s and P220s, both in .45ACP. I had to seat the bullet just a tad deeper for the P220. For the 1911 I seat them to 1.25" OAL. The P220 wanted them a few thousandths deeper.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I got a good deal on some .40 SWC bullets that I loaded up for my P229. The gun will jam 3-4x per mag when you seat them too deep. Too long and they won't fit in the mag. You've gotta find the sweet spot...I only had a few thousandths to play with, but I finally found an OAL that works.

I like SWCs, but after fighting with them in my Marlins, and now the P229, I'm coming to terms with the fact that they're at their best in revolvers.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ This right here! Gotta find the sweet spot for your particular gun. When I do find that spot, if it's gun specific, I'll label the specific round in a "dummy" (no primer, no powder) round. Next time I reload for that gun, I just use that "dummy" round for OAL, set the seating die, and off to the races!!!

Posts: 3395 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I shoot precision bullets in my 40 STI and they have a similar profile as the bayou bullet in 180 grain. I use this gun for USPSA. I’ve seen a lot of different bullets used, but semi-wadcutters won’t work in my gun. And I’ve never seen anyone use a SWC in competition.

I’m not saying they won’t work, but before you order a thousand, call and see if you can order maybe a hundred to test fire in your gun. A phone call may get you some seating depths from them or some other info.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I ordered a hundred to try. My normal bullet is a 180gr Blue Bullet.

I will be trying some Precision Bullets coated as well.

Posts: 8336 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
100 of the Bayou 175gr SWC showed up today. Everyone is swamped with orders and takes a while right now.

Anyway, a dummy round at 1.116” fits and feeds great, I’ll try different lengths. It sits with the shoulder just out of the case but plunks and spins well. I normally load the Blue 180s to 1.125”. The Dillon seating stem fits the profile just right. I hope to check them this weekend.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Well, hand feeding is one thing but it wouldn’t feed from the magazine after firing. Once it was down to the last few rounds in the magazine it would feed after firing. It would also feed if hand cycling the slide.

Too short. However, to get them to chamber, plunk and spin they have to be that short. I tried lower power recoil springs to slow the slide but it didn’t help.

Based on this I’m not going to pursue these for these guns. They may be able to made to work but I don’t want to spend anymore time. However, a 10mm revolver is in the plans so they will be tested and shot up in that gun.

Next will be some 165gr Bayou Bullets, Precision Bullets and Hornady Action Pistol hollow points to test.